Author Topic: Which Scroll Saw to Buy  (Read 3504 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
Which Scroll Saw to Buy
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:22 pm »
First of all let me start off by saying I am not looking to buy a new saw right away. I am using the HF saw I got for Christmas last year, and doing pretty good with it. But, as much as I enjoy this hobby, I will eventually want to buy a better saw. So my question is, what saw (without spending a fortune) would people here recommend? I remember seeing a scroll saw at the AZ State Fair about 5 to 10 years ago. It had a real easy to remove blade for quick change and for setting up to do fretwork faster. I guess that would be what I would want. Any suggestions or ideas?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Which Scroll Saw to Buy
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:27:23 am »
Hey Troy, It's a tough question to answer. Having used a middle level saw for fifteen years or so, I couldn't see using most of the entry level saws. I surely would want a saw with tooless quick change blade clamps, A 20 to 21" throat capacity, Air blower and because I am a top feeder, a lifting upper arm. I recently reviewed the new Delta 40-695. It has all these features, plus a locking upper arm and comes with the stand and light. It sells for $495. It's not cheap, but it should serve you well for many years. there are other middle level saws like the Dewalt DW788 which I use, Then there are the Excalibur EX 16 and EX21 which are excellent saws also. I think for the money, I would go with the Delta.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:31:08 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:14:08 am »
Troy, Dan's right on the money with his recommendations!  I started with a cheap Craftsman, quickly moved up to the Porter Cable, but after a year on that, I really wanted something I could top feed on because bottom feeding was hell on my already screwed up back.  I grabbed one of the  Delta 40-690s when Woodcraft had them on sale, and am very glad I did it.  Top feeding was a little tricky at first, but now I can do it without even thinking about it.

Keep an eye on Craigslist in your area (and any other listing sites you may have nearby).  Some real deals occasionally pop up from people who decide they no longer want to scroll. 

Good Luck!

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:36:51 am »
i had a craftmans saw for years just a few weeks ago i upgraded to the EX-21 beautiful saw the is no comparison between the saws at all just a dream to use.as for the delta and dewalt i never had the chance to sit down and try one out but what everyone seems to say on the fourm is there great saws as well.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:54:29 am »
so what is top feeding? also do all these saws mentioned have quick release for faster and easier threading so i can do fret work easier? Thanks for all the advice.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:42:14 am »
top feeding is when you put the blade down through your work piece not up through. as far as i knowall the saws mentioned as quick release on them.

excalibur 21

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
so what is top feeding? also do all these saws mentioned have quick release for faster and easier threading so i can do fret work easier? Thanks for all the advice.
As Todd mentioned, Instead of feeding the blade from below the workpiece, the upper arms on the saws mentioned raise so you can feed the blade from above. And yes they all have tool less quick clamps.
In the old days I had a saw that used adapters to use plain end blades. It needed an allen wrench to change the blade. On average it took me about 2 1/2 minutes to change from one hole to another. Now with my saw, it takes about 10 to 20 seconds!
Dan In Southern California

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:16 pm »
yep Dan the first scrollsaw i had a allen wrench for blade change's.

excalibur 21

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »

In the old days I had a saw that used adapters to use plain end blades. It needed an allen wrench to change the blade. On average it took me about 2 1/2 minutes to change from one hole to another. Now with my saw, it takes about 10 to 20 seconds!

Yes, my current set up is like this. For now it is ok, but can sure take some time and patience just to cut one hole. I will have to use what I have for about a year unless I can find a way to save up extra money for a saw like yours.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »
My next saw is going to be an Excalibur. I don't have plans to get one right now, but it is on the list. I have a Hitachi that is 4 years old and nearing the end of its life, I also have a single speed Hegnar that is as old as I am (28 years old).

My husband was teasing me the last time he had to replace the switch on my Hitachi about what would I do if it was completely dead. I told him I would cry and be miserable until he bought me an Excalibur to replace it, he said "isn't that the $1,200 saw", I said "yeah, but the $800 would do in a pinch". He was much more motivated to get the $1 switch replaced on my Hitachi.
My Hegnar runs good, but it is single speed and that is irritating. I also don't understand why they don't come with quick blade changing hardware, you have to buy that separately.

I have used the dewalts, I have 2 at school. For the amount of dust I make, I want a better one. For me it would be worth saving every penny for twice as long to get the one I really wanted.

SMF

Teknoromi