Author Topic: "WEATHER ALERT" ! ! !  (Read 13243 times)

Sawdust Dave

Re: "WEATHER ALERT" ! ! !
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 06:58:49 pm »
Glad you're doing ok GB :)

@Russ... I hear ya. There's alot of people that live in Fla. half the year and here in Maine in the other half. I think they follow the birds lol

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »
GB -  sorry if I can't relate but I'm on vacation in St.John however my family in St.Louis is keeping me informed - luckily it's 80 here and the rum is flowing just fine ;) ;) ;)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »
Wow! we bit the bullet!
Seems like the drier air is swinging around the back side of the storm so we may have seen the worst of the storm!
Nearby areas were not so lucky and Chicago is catching it heavy!
Central Missouri got heavier snow but we lucked out with sleet, about 3 inches and maybe a two inch snow on top here at my house!
Within the last hour I have seen the visibility improve and can see the lights at the HS across the lake.
Now the bitter cold and wind is picking up and we will be in the deep freeze tonight and for the next couple days!

Still very little traffic moving around the St. Louis area and here in St. Peters, 35 mis. to the west.

Finally convinced the idiots to stay home!

GrayBeard

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Becky

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2011, 07:41:52 pm »
LOL, GB, don't you mean we "dodged" the bullet?

Got help from the neighbors and pushed about 3" of sleet off my driveway.  Could have been a lot worse.  My street hasn't seen a plow yet but I guess that isn't surprising.  They're all pretty busy.  I can see a fairly major street from my front window and a car does pass every once in a while.  I don't think I have seen any actual snow.  It's been either freezing rain or sleet all day long.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what tomorrow morning brings.  I brought home enough work for 2-3 days so I'm not going to kill myself trying to get to the office if the tv ppl still say it's a mess.

cameronj

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:52 pm »
Well, nothing yet in southern Ontario...but it's still on its way with blizzard conditions predicted.  I'm hoping the university is closed tomorrow so I can scroll for most of the day :D.  We'll see.  Jim

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 10:06:29 pm »
I'm not going to tell you guys about the Werther here in So. Ca. Just hope all is well with everybody out there!
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2011, 02:43:14 am »
We also had some ice rain in Germany around Nuernberg - traffic there broke down completely.
EDIT: also "Blitzeis" in the northern parts of Germany this morning, a lot of car accidents.

In Munich it is still just cold but dry. Places are slippery due to the ice.

@ jim
that's the right approach! See the good points, don't worry to much. You can't go past it anyway.

regards
Torsten
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:46:25 am by tux_linux »

Dawie

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2011, 04:25:50 am »
Glad to hear you guys made out alright while I was sleeping. Anyone heard from Cherie?
David

cherie

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 04:34:42 am »
David, I am about 4 hours away from GB.  The power starting fluctuating last night due to high winds which I thought was going to take out tree branches and power lines.  We got about 1/4 ice, and a small amount of snow.  We were lucky this time.  Still have power and believe it or not, water.  Jaun was down in Louisiana, but wanted to head back here. I had to convince him to stay away and that I would be fine.  I have also been sick, so that did not help.  I am almost over it now and feel much better.
Now the cold wind sets in and this will be the big test for some of us living in mobile homes out in the middle of nowhere.  LOL.  Thanks guys!!
I love my woodworking family.

Mainewoods

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 06:50:22 am »
Glad you folks out west made it through okay!  We're just getting light snow right now, but the heavy snow and winds are coming!  Too bad there's no such thing as a snow day in USPS.  Oh well.

cameronj

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 10:00:53 am »
London is just on the edge of the big storm--only the elementary schools are closed.  I could hear ice pellets hitting the windows at 4:00am today.  But there isn't alot of snow here.  The blizzard warning was cancelled at 8:00am.
So, I'm cleaning up the slop on the floors from the university students instead of scrolling.
Oh well, I know I'll be at the saw tonight.
Thanks for the comment, Torsten.  I have made it a habit to be as positive as I can. 
The sun is even shining here--it's just shining above all the clouds, not below.
Jim

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2011, 11:03:12 am »
We are 'digging out' and things are starting to move again...
Sun shining on new snow and all is very pretty.

I-70 has been re-opened and moving slowly.
So far traffic in the Metro area is on the light side, 17? and 20 mph winds tend to keep people indoors!

Birds are back out wondering why I have't refilled the feeders..next project for the morning.

Sure wish I could fire up the saw but too darn cold in the garage...Maybe next week.

Shelf cleaning and re-arranging day in the laundry/work area today...looking for a box of old pictures to scan and share with family.

Hockey playoffs start Friday so will be busy over the weekend.
Next weekend we have a national figure skating competition at our THREE rinks and will be VERY busy all weekend. I will be working the 'concierge' desk advising participants and families of services in our area....

Busy ol' geezer...but I love it!

GrayBeard

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Rightarm

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:16 pm »
    Terre Haute has an inch of ice. Everything is shut down. The worst ice storm we have ever seen. Trees and power lines down every where. We were lucky, lights flickered, but never lost power. About 20,000 homes without power, at this time. the city is at a level 1 emergency. No vehicles on the road, emergency vehicles only, unless going for supplies. I've got to try to make it in. Got to get supplies to 8 firehouses. I'll be glad when spring gets here. Dave :o 

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 01:13:33 pm »
Lost power at 3:40 this morning got it back at 11:00 snow has stopped, very pretty, now gotta shovel and let the kids play in it. Looks like about two feet plus drifts, time to dig out, hardly any traffic on our street, snow plows could not keep up with it.

Dawie

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 01:41:19 pm »
Brr sounds very cold. Rightarm take care if you have to go out. Nice to know that you guys are still all safe.
David

SMF

Teknoromi