Author Topic: What blade???  (Read 4623 times)

kardar2

Re: What blade???
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 11:57:38 pm »
Yeah,
I just buy mine from the wooden teddy bear.  Mike retired and sold his site to the wooden teddy bear.  I bought my blades from Mike when I first started out. But yeah  look on the blade page and in the center and bottom of page it says it about the 2 blades. There are a lot of places to shop for blades and patterns. Good luck.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 06:44:41 am »
You used to be able to get a variety pack from Mikes Workshop.  It gives you a chance to try several different styles and types.

kardar2

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 10:40:02 am »
You used to be able to get a variety pack from Mikes Workshop.  It gives you a chance to try several different styles and types.
Yep he did

dheaton

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 10:47:14 am »
I did order the variety pack to try from Mikes site.  However today I got an email saying that they can't process my order because they can't ship to my physical address.  So I had to send them my P.O. Box.  Now normally that would not be an issue but it didn't say that anywhere on the site and most places will not ship to a po box.  Sheesh.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 10:52:46 am »
Yes dheaton, those blades that you showed in the pictures are #9's but, I've never heard of TWS either.
DON"T throw those #9's away! I'm sure that they don't work very well on any wood thinner than 1/2" BUT, if you ever get into a thicker or harder wood, you will be glad you have them!
You never know, some day you may want to cut a bowl or vase out of 3/4" walnut on the scroll saw and the bigger blades are just great for that. With fewer teeth that clean out the sawdust better and aggressive enough cutting for cutting with the grain on thicker stuff that keeps the heat down they work well.

Fret work is not the only thing you can do with a scroll saw.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

dheaton

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 12:19:05 pm »
Right now I am working on cutting out the 12 days of Christmas Ornaments.  What blade would you all recommend using to cut things like that in 1/4" pine?

kardar2

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 12:52:55 pm »
#3 or #5  pine is soft  and not thick on pretty small you might even use a #2  but you might burn the wood.

dheaton

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 01:04:25 pm »
#3 or #5  pine is soft  and not thick on pretty small you might even use a #2  but you might burn the wood.

Silly question but why would a #2 burn when a #3-4 would not?  Curious.

kardar2

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 01:12:25 pm »
That small of a blade has a hard time cutting cause it is so thin and can't cut that thick it be good for 1/8 in . The teeth are so fine and will dull quickly.   Like a table saw blade trying to cut through thick stock you get burn marks.

dheaton

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 01:16:37 pm »
That small of a blade has a hard time cutting cause it is so thin and can't cut that thick it be good for 1/8 in . The teeth are so fine and will dull quickly.   Like a table saw blade trying to cut through thick stock you get burn marks.

Thanks for the explaination Kardar2

kardar2

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
You will see as you learn and when you cut and it starts to smoke and you smell burning wood you will understand. Trial and error.  Give it a shot and try

SMF

Teknoromi