Author Topic: Adhering Patterns  (Read 2451 times)

Offline raytho

• View Profile
Adhering Patterns
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:46:07 am »
For many years I've used rather simple method of brushing on a coating of rubber cement to the back of the pattern and then apply it directly to the wood surface.  After a few minutes the material is ready for cutting.  Removal of the pattern only involves peeling it off and using either an eraser or fingertips to rub off any residual cement.  Compared to spray adhesive, the rubber cement is relatively cheap. And, I always use clear packaging tape atop the pattern to help "lubricate" the cutting.

Does anyone else use this method?

Ray in Kennedale

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Adhering Patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:32:29 am »
Many years of doing 'paste ups' for printing originals I know well the relative merits of 'rubber cement'!

However I also remember the down side in that the darn stuff tends to thicken and get harder and harder to work with. Back in the ancient times we used Benzene as a thinner! Now that is outlawed for general use due to the VOC's and general health hazards.

I much prefer the use of the spray adhesives that we have now for adhering my patterns.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:04:06 pm »
I use either a repositionable spray adhesive or an A4 self adhesive lable to stick my patterns on with, the A4 lable comes off quite easily but in small bits but with a wipe of celulose thinners the spray glue lable comes off in one piece and the thinners left on the paper towel is enough to wipe off all the glue residue left on the wood.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:19:24 am by Keefie »
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:41:14 pm »
Well so far I have tried 2 methoods. I bought some printer paper at Staples. It has adhesive backing. It worked pretty good...but was a bit hard to get off the wood. So I moved on to using spray adhesive. I got some at Walmart. It works well for me. If I have trouble removing it I use my wife's hair dryer and heat it up some.

Now today I had a new problem with adhesives. I used some on zebra wood and for some reason it didnt stick well. Has anyone else had that problem?

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:48:50 am »
when I have trouble removing patterns, I get a paper tissue soaked in celulose thinners  and wipe it over the pattern and within seconds the whole pattern comes off complete, then i give a second wipe of the wood to remove any glue residue (easier than sanding it off)
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 08:00:31 am »
i put painters tape on first then a layer of packing tape because i get alot of glare from the tape when i'm cutting.then i use self adhesive labels print my pattern on them and just stick them on, that works great for me no more mess or pattern start lifting of the wood especially when i'm doing some very fine cutting.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

tundraguy

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:00:08 pm »
I am so GLAD that i found this site  ;D....I would cut the pattern out of paper then trace it onto the wood....then cut ....but with the info you gave here, it will save me a lot of time...Thanks...

Jim..

SMF

Teknoromi