Author Topic: turning a box fan into a ceiling dust collector  (Read 7772 times)

Offline tinker1

• View Profile

dirts

Re: turning a box fan into a ceiling dust collector
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:52:24 am »
I would suggest mounting it to the side so particles are not drawn up and across your face and head.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:41:36 am »
I like this idea.  I just may make one myself.  I have a fan/filter set up mounted on the ceiling but this idea would be useful as a way to remove even more dust.  I could mount it next to my stationary belt sander where a lot of dust is generated.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

ShadowB6

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:16:13 pm »
I really like the concept of this idea. I have a low ceiling in my shop at 6'6" so I think the fan would do a fair job in pulling up the dust. I'm 5'8" and I sit to scroll so there should still be plenty of head room left over my EX21. I already use a fan with a filter but it sits on a stand in front of my saw taking up floor space. Thanks tinker1 for planting this idea into my head. I can see me at least trying it.

Mike

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:56:10 pm »
I don't know if the ceiling is the right place. I mean - it's not like the dust is flying up there right?
I don't think the dust will be filtered when it's "floating" underneath.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 06:12:42 pm »
I think it might be a good addition to your over all dust collection effort, but it wont take care of all the dust by itself, only the airborne dust in the area.
Dan In Southern California

alien11

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:52:53 pm »
You definately need dust collection close to the source, but this type of collector will clear the finer dust particles that escape the primary DC. The ceiling collector should be run continuously, and left running for some time after you leave the shop.

When I built a similar collector I was able to utilize a surplus computer main-frame blower. I also use two filters at the inlet and a third filter at the outlet. Two inlet filters turned out to be a good idea, because the first one doesn't catch it all. The 3rd one keeps the inside of the box clean on those occasions when I forget  to turn it on. Sad to say I, too often, forget it.

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
Does it count if my ceiling fan has turned into a dust collector?  ::)

Just wonderin'   ;)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:24:16 pm »
Does it count if my ceiling fan has turned into a dust collector?  ::)

Just wonderin'   ;)
Well Glen, If your ceiling fan has turned into a dust collector, it has also turned into a dust distributor! ;D

Mainewoods

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:26:28 pm »

Well Glen, If your ceiling fan has turned into a dust collector, it has also turned into a dust distributor! ;D

True! ;)

scrollingdesigns

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
I like this. I have a small shop area, 10' by 12' with a 7' 6" ceiling, so this should do great. I will try this and see if I can get by without a mask since I do have asthma.
I have another question, I recently obtained a used Dewalt DW788 scroll saw and wonder if someone knows how to make a dust collector for it or if you know of an after market one. I have a Dremel 1680 scroll saw and it has a vacuum connection. I like the idea of having the vacuum attached while sawing to hold down the dust.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:30:46 am »
Here is a link to a post of how I hooked up a dust collection system to my DeWalt saw: http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=8625.0

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:04:56 pm »
I use a 20" x 20" box fan with a pleated filter on the input side, the fan sits on the floor a couple of feet on the other side of the SC and it sure collects a lot of dust.  After the first couple of hours the filter was no longer white but brown, so I know it is picking up a lot of dust.  I am going to get another fan and make another air filter with it also, besides cleaning the air they provide a nice breeze when it is hot in the workshop.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

SMF

Teknoromi