Author Topic: Advice  (Read 1606 times)

eyerod

Advice
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:06:36 pm »
I need some on help with gluing projects up. I just did my first scrolled bowl that Steve had a video on and was quite proud of it until I dipped it in lemon oil and saw all the glue still left on it. I applied a drop on the tip of each ring but obviously did something wrong. Any advice on gluing projects would be appreciated. Is there anything I can do now on the bowl to get the glue off or just live with it?
Thanks.

tux_linux

Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:56:16 am »
sanding is the only think I do. Sanding of the glue, not trying to harm the piece to much.

What sort of glue did you use?

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:07:28 am »
The problem could be due to several conditions.  You may have shifted the parts slightly during assembly, which would spread the glue onto the surrounding surfaces.  The glue may be too thin and ran during assembly.  You mentioned that you applied a drop.  That's kind of a subjective measure, so I'm not sure how big the drop was, relative to the glue surfaces, but it may very well have simply been squeeze out of the excess glue from the joint.

There are a couple things to do to prevent this in the future.  First, limit the amount of glue used to only what is necessary, especially where removal of the excess will be a problem.  Then use the glue most appropriate to the application.  For areas where the glue surface is limited, you can use a gel CA glue.  Aleene's Tacky glue is also good for situations like this.  It's a little thicker, bonds quickly and dries clear, so a little git of squeeze out may not be as noticeable as some other glues.

Next, during assembly, take special note of the glue joints and clean up any excess before it dries.  Once assembly is complete and you are ready for the finish, wipe the project down with mineral spirits.  This will show you where there is glue that needs removed.  Use a razor blade as a scraper, or sandpaper to remove as much of the excess glue as possible, without damaging the surrounding surfaces.  Bottom line is, it's much easier to prevent excess glue squeeze out than it is to deal with it after the fact. 

Good luck!
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:48:28 am »
When gluing bowls I always "clamp" the piece for a while. I usually use a case of soda or something heavy like that. There is a fairly simple bowl press that can be made, I just haven't done it yet. I use CA glue and lacquer after the glue is well cured. (Although I have used aleenes and titebond at times)
I think you need more then a drop of glue. I use several drops of CA glue on each spot.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:04 am »
When making bowls or vases I use Titebond glue and spread a thin layer over all the joints and put them in my press. After the glue starts to set up I try to scrape off the squeeze out with a putty knife. After the glue has dried I sand with 50 grit then 80 grit then 120 grit and finally with 220 grit before any finish is applied. You are bound to see some glue lines but, there is not much you can do about it.

Wait!!! You said a drop of glue on the ends! Are you splitting the rings? If so, it is not a big deal. I usually cut through the rings on a diagonal and put glue on the ends where it is split and then use a rubber band as a clamp to hold it tight until the glue is entirely set up. Then sand the joint to get rid of the glue squeeze out before gluing the stack. It also helps to stagger the splits around so that it is not so evident.

Hope that helps. There is nothing like practice and experience to make things better for yourself.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi