Author Topic: BACKERS ON PLACQUES/PORTRAITS  (Read 4673 times)

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
BACKERS ON PLACQUES/PORTRAITS
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »
I understand it's standard to use a backer on placques, etc.  Some use 1/4 inch BB and some use 1/8 inch.  In my opinion, I prefer to use black, or any color, poster board or heavy craft paper.  I've had great comments. Anyway, 1/8th inch always seem to warp. What are the advantages of using BB as compared to my alternative?
Thanks, Moonie   
MOONIE

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: BACKERS ON PLACQUES/PORTRAITS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »
Hey Moonie, I like to use real wood or plywood as a backer mainly for it's strength and durability. If you use craft paper, it may tear and fade over time. If you still want to use craft paper, sandwich it between the plaque and a plywood backer. Just my opinion.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:39 pm »
When using a 'paper backer' I normally spray glue it to the face of a piece of 'Chipboard' and then glue that combo to the back of the workpiece. I hit the back of the workpiece with a heavy coat of 3M '77' and then use a hard rubber roller to roll the backer on to the piece. That protects the paper from being penetrated and adds a bit of stability to the piece when I place it in a frame using 'glazier's points.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:02:57 am »
I was planning to use colored card stock / craft paper then sandwiching with masonite as the backer..
I found a bunch of it from an old display thrown out at the local building supply, I haven't measured the thickness but it's close to 1/4" it has holes drilled in it where the displayed parts hung on it and the face is painted a sort of powder blue, the back is natural I thought since no one will be looking at the back I would just fill the holes with wood putty and paint over it. Now I'm concerned the craft paper will fade, is there anything that will prevent that other than storing it in a dark closet?
Comments welcome.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

marmoh

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:20 am »
If I'm going to use a backer board I paint it with acrylic paint or spray paint it.

Offline lwsjc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »
I'm with Marion on this.

Larry

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »
Spray paint is nice...BUT ...

There are so many colors and textures to be had when using the papers from the 'ScrapBook' section of Michaels's JoAnne's etc. that I prefer to go with the papers.

I know...my preference and I am sticking to it and do not hope to convince anyone else to follow suit!
"I am what I am, what I am, what I am...."

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

marmoh

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:12 pm »
GB ... different strokes for different folks ... I have a ton of left over small bottles of acrylic paints so just using what I have.  Don't ever change as we like you just the way you are  ::) ::)

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 03:52:42 pm »
Darlin'....

I am too old to change!

As I said that is my method and I like it...
don't have any old colored paints laying around so i use what is readily available...
AND as a retired printer I have an affinity for PAPERS!

Hugzzzz

~~~GB~~~

bluesuede

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:41:14 pm »
I mostly use a black flannel type cloth glued to a cardboard backer, always seems to work well for me...

Bruce ;D

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:05 am »
I often use fabric or felt.  Just dot glue on larger areas of the cutting and stretch the material on.  I also have bought a cheap framed mirror and placed the cutting in front of the mirror.

SheGold

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »
I've used felt, natural wood, paper, painted cardboard but, My favorite is just plain ole wood.. Painted or plain... Sheila in Tx

shutterbugdm

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 12:25:43 am »
So far I've used heavy duty colored craft papers (mainly black) on my work and back it with a still poster board then frame it. I believe the work is a lot lighter this way for wall hanging.

Vince

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 09:24:24 am »
     Another trick or Idea for backerboard cutting ! This works for "Word Art". Lay your word art down on the backer board and take a washer and set it next to your cut out words and use the center hole with your pencel and trace around the whole thing. I picked up a set of these washers all diffrent sizes. It looks great when glued. I use the spray stain on the backer, I picked up many colors of it to have on hand. I use one stain for the letters and another for the backer board so it all stands out well. Works well for me.
Vince

peterjf50

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 07:58:33 am »
Hi all, real newbie here but was looking over this posting and thought I would chime in.

Been trying to find different ways to backer projects and while in the Lowes store walked down the flooring isle, found a real nice looking (relatively speaking :) ) linoleum floor tile black with white marbling, took it home cut to size adhered it to 1/4" plywood and wha-la shiny black marble backing.  Dont think it will fade bad with time, going to look for other colors and such but with the amount of patterns tiles come in shouldnt be hard.

Thanks for being here for us newbies!

SMF

Teknoromi