Author Topic: basic no frills frame making  (Read 2639 times)

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
basic no frills frame making
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:42:32 pm »
This is a way to create a frame with out the use of power tools other than your scroll saw.
First decide on what size you want your frame.... in this case the frame will house an 8 x 10 picture and the frame will be 1.5 " wide and .5" thick with a .25" channel.  This means that you need to cut 2 each of the following:
12.50" x 1.50" x .25"
10.50" x 1.50" x .25"
Since I do not own a table saw I used my miter saw to cut to length and to put the 45 degree angle on the pieces.

I created a jig that helps me hold my pieces at the necessary 90 degrees

I create the frame in pairs then glue the pairs together making sure that they are still square.

Notice one of the pieces has some gouges in it, this is not a problem as they will be covered up in the up coming step.

Once both pairs are glued together and you have ensured that it is square you are half way done.  What you have created is the face of the frame.
Now is the time to start to lock the frame together.  This is also the time that the channel is created.  To do this you will need to cut one board that is 12.50" x 1.25" x .25" and glue it along one of the long sides of the frame.  It will overlap the 40 Degree joint on both ends.

Continue to cut and fit lengths of 1.25" wide board all the way around the frame making sure that you get a good fit.

Congratulations if you have followed this along correctly when your glue dries you will have a frame that will hold an 8x10 picture that has a 1.50" wide frame with a .25" channel and is only .5 thick.  Hope this helps explain how I make most of my frames.

DW
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:52:16 pm by DWSudekum »
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: basic no frills frame making
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:42:58 am »
You can do the same without the miters if you rotate the overlap in the second layer.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 11:49:09 am »
Nice tute DW!  8)
I always enjoy seeing a tutorial like yours. As I have often said, I believe in the old adage "A picture is worth a thousand words." Unfortunately most of the tute's I do have the pictures AND the thousand words too!  ;D ;)
Keep up the good work, I'm sure that it will help out someone that may be a newbie (or even an oldbie) and be of use to them.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:36:18 pm »
Thank you DW...I am definitely going to give it a go for sure...
Gordie

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »
Here is the frame completed.  Sealed with tung oil and then top coated with satin lacquer.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:37:05 pm »
Nice looking.  I need to take some time for frame building.

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 07:26:50 am »
Very nice work DW
Pierre

SMF

Teknoromi