Author Topic: A different way to sand small parts.  (Read 7706 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
A different way to sand small parts.
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:13 pm »
I was sanding my small parts or blanks with a sanding block, but then mounted it in my vise made it better but still tough have to do the twist and shout with my arms. So I tried something today, I took my small palm sander turned upside down and put it in my vise plugged it and turn it on, it was much better, took just 2 seconds to sand a blank, even better after done cutting and pulled the pattern off to sand down the fibers the tape pulled up, and was faster. Will have to do this more now.

countryscroller

Re: A different way to sand small parts.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:14:10 pm »
Good idea. I notice when using some softer woods like poplar or even a pine the fibers that come up when pealing up the tape. I use masking tape, but I heard that blue painters tape is less forceful than masking tape and doesn't pull up as many fibers. Unless you use blue painters tape and this whole comment is a waste. lol.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:50 pm »
I use the blue painters tape but still like to give that last sanding just to be sure to have that nice smooth feel. It is a good idea, it really takes a 1 2 on each side and its done, longer if want it even better. Its alot faster when your doing stack cutting like have done, I had 40 blanks well 80, 40 of two different angels to cut out, so you can imagine sanding 40 blank squares by hand, even if pre-sanded would still have to sand the end of the table saw cut.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:40 pm »
I just use my Irwin quick clamps to hold my palm sander upside down I can use this set up on top of my home made down draft table.  it works great.  Same idea as the vice...
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:08:34 pm »
I have been using my palm sander upside down for a while now also. I used an 8" wood screw clamp and then screwed the clamp to my bench, it's always ready to use and never in my way.

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:00:45 am »
I have found that using a Rockler's hockey puck, those round things that hold the wood while you sand, paint, etc.  I kept on getting blooding thumbs and fingers when I was sanding 1/8" or 1/16" thick scrollsaw projects - getting blood out of wood is a pain.  After cutting I put the project on a sheet of 400 sandpaper and use the "puck" to provide stable and even pressure on the whole project.  A couple of quick circles on the paper and all is glass smooth again after the tape removal.

Pieter

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 09:39:29 am »
Has anyone used the sticky paper label material as shown in the rubber band rifle project? I guess you print the pattern on the label material, then peel off the back and attach to your blank. It looked like to came off the wood pretty easily.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:57:23 am »
Your own saliva/spit is the best item to use for breaking down blood and removing from a project.  Try it.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 04:25:38 am »
I keep forgetting how good a cleaner spit is, Mom always washed my face with it, did you ever wonder where the term "Spit Bath" came from?
Well now you know!
It will disolve nearly every organic material you can think of. Funny I never thought of using it on blood.

I've also noticed that the different brands of painters tape have different strengths some will really pull the splinters up and others not so much, I guess I need to see which ones I have and report back here.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dirob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 04:08:22 am »
This is in response to EIEIO. The backed paper is great but I find if you don't use tape under the project adhesive clings to the finished product. Blue tape I find is the easiest to remove.
R F R

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 02:44:21 am »
I keep forgetting how good a cleaner spit is, Mom always washed my face with it, did you ever wonder where the term "Spit Bath" came from?
Well now you know!
It will dissolve nearly every organic material you can think of. Funny I never thought of using it on blood.

I've also noticed that the different brands of painters tape have different strengths some will really pull the splinters up and others not so much, I guess I need to see which ones I have and report back here.
Gabby

Well I have to report that my Scotch brand 3M blue painters tape will pull more than fibers it will even pull some of the grain up from clear pine, I did a bunch of sanding and still can't get all of it smoothed over but fortunately it isn't noticeable in the photo of the Friends and Ammo plaque. It sticks way tighter than regular masking tape does. I'd recommend caution using it on delicate cuttings. As a matter of fact I'd suggest something much gentler!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 03:27:29 am »
Another sanding trick, tack or glue a couple strips at 90 degree angle to each other out of thinner material than you will be sanding to a board or your table top, (Your call) then when you lay the part being sanded on there and hook up your palm sander of choice and go at it, the part can't scoot away from you and is totally supported helping to prevent breakage.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:44:44 pm »
I like to sand larger pieces 100_120_220_400 grit before I cut my blanks. I find it easier to move the palm sander over a larger pc. rather than working small blanks.  I believe sanding & removing loose top slivers will leave me less final sanding on a finish fret work. I also do not remove all the fine saw dust before applying blue painter tape.   That way the tape has a reduced holding/grain raising affect when I remove the tape/pattern.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:57 pm »
I also do not remove all the fine saw dust before applying blue painter tape.   That way the tape has a reduced holding/grain raising affect when I remove the tape/pattern.

I will have to try that, I thought the dust wouldn't let the tape stick.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 02:59:00 am »
I also do not remove all the fine saw dust before applying blue painter tape.   That way the tape has a reduced holding/grain raising affect when I remove the tape/pattern.

I will have to try that, I thought the dust wouldn't let the tape stick.

It will if you leave it all on there,  he said he didn't remove ALL of it and left just enough to reduce the adhesion some.
Gabby
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:37:36 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi