Author Topic: MDF  (Read 1074 times)

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
MDF
« on: May 18, 2020, 12:19:41 pm »
Gurus,
Can any one advise me in the planning of MDF?
Will it cause the planer blades to dull faster than wood?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: MDF
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:08:09 pm »
You can plane MDF but, I would advise against it. Yes, it will definitely dull your blades faster than wood. The dust is the main reason I avoid MDF. Here is just one portion of an article about MDF use.

Wear a good mask
There’s one thing you’ll really hate about MDF: the fine, powdery dust that invades your clothes, hangs in the air for hours and clings to every surface like a coat of frost. Cutting MDF is a dusty job, but routing it is even worse.
Whenever possible, I cut and rout MDF outside. When that’s not possible, I drape sheets of plastic over shelving and other hard-to-clean areas in my shop and use a fan to blow dust outside. When installing trim in a room, cover doorways, close air vents and expect to vacuum every surface when you’re done, even the walls. Clean your vacuum filter often—the fine dust plugs filters quickly. And a tight-fitting dust mask is essential.

The entire article can be found here:  https://www.familyhandyman.com/woodworking/woodworking-tips/what-is-mdf-plus-tips-for-using-mdf/

God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 09:44:16 am »
Not a Guru, but prudent.  In the piece provided by Spirithorse it noted "a tight-fitting dust mask is essential" which precludes most facial hair for a tight fit - if applicable.  In the vernacular of the day I would highly recommend social distancing and not allow mdf within 6 ' of you or your shop.  If it's not there it can't hurt you or your family.

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »
I found a large "box"  (14x20x36") at the curb. It apparently was a combination of oak and MDF with oak veneer.
It looked good, but, after your replies, I believe I will salvage what oak I can and have a bonfire with the rest.
Thanks for the help.

SMF

Teknoromi