Author Topic: Brand new ex-21... a lot of vibration!!!  (Read 2836 times)

xavierot

Brand new ex-21... a lot of vibration!!!
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:16:50 pm »
Hi Steve,
I hope you can help me, because I'm a bit worried. I've just bought an excalibur 21", and I have a problem. Vibration is extremely high, also all the bank is moving from its place, the whole assembly walks!
I've also seen that the blade is not vertical from the front to the back, so I thought this was the reason. I've tried to move the motor on the back, unscrew and screw again with different positions, but I can't align vertically the blade...
I need help on that... I bought this saw online, at a shop 500miles from home.... and I've spent about 1000?... I have to fix it by myself! So... two problems:
1.- Vibration extremely high
2.- Blade verticality
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Brand new ex-21... a lot of vibration!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:23:45 pm »
My EX-21 has a little angle on the front-to-back. I doesn't seem to hurt anything. The Hawk saws have a setting to tilt  the blade in that direction to get a more aggressive cut, so a little tilt toward you at the top should be OK.

Mine has very little vibration to it, but if the blade is loose it will develop a Thump (I think the blade buckles than straightens each cycle and makes that sound).

If you open it up, it's not a very complicated mechanism. You may be able to see a bad bearing or loose bolts that are letting it jump around. You should be able to turn the motor shaft by hand without much resistance.

Does you dealer have a contact guy? I got mine from Seyco and Ray Seymore has been very helpful.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:44:50 pm »
If you just purchased the saw I would call the  seller and arrange for a replacement. If you purchased from Seyco give Ray a call and he can probably talk you through some troubleshooting. I'm hesitant to give too much advice on a new machine for fear you will void your warranty.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:07:21 pm »
call ray and he will send you a new one that he repair to replace that one.
that what he did with mine.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

xavierot

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:28:57 am »
Hi all,
thanks a lot to everybody for your support! Finally I could fix the problem. After calling the shep where I bought the saw, I received some reccomendations. I solved the front and back movement, just turning slowly the motor while the saw was running at the lowest speed. I easily saw how the movement was being reduced until practically zero. At that time, I fixed again the motor with the screws, and the vibration was reduced at least 80%. Another thing I did, was to increase the tension of the blades. Doing these two things, the horrible vibrations disappeared. Now I'm very surprised about the extreme precision of this saw!!! I'm capable of doing very difficult projects (for me), that were nearly impossible with my last saw (60$ saw I've been working for the last three years lol). I feel extremely happy with the invest! Ex-21 is awesome! :D
Xavi

xavierot

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:49 am »
Ah! And I solved the blade verticality turning the black back weel without any blade fixed, until the blade was vertical! :)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:39:05 pm »
The knob at the back once adjusted shouldn't have to be turned again, to adjust it measure the top rear of the arm to the table then measure the front of the top arm to table make that measurement the same on the top arm front to back, this makes the arm parallel with the table and bottom arm, once this is set don't turn that knob, that knob doesn't really tighten the blade I have tried on mine.

My ex has a slight vibration to it nothing to get excited over most all scrollsaws will have a slight vibration to them its the nature of the saw with the blade running up and down. The EX is a great saw, runs smooth and easy to cut on, if you ever want a more aggressive cut from the blade loosen the motor turn it a tad it will make the blade move front to back giving a more aggressive cut but it takes away from the accuracy of the cut.

If your saw came with a owners book it explains these details, if you don't have it, its online in pdf format.

SMF

Teknoromi