Author Topic: Applying Patterns  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Applying Patterns
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »
I know this subject has been up n down for a long time, but after bragging about using the Self Sticking Stock to make patterns on and How Well it works.  Still feel it is among the best, but ran out of stock.  Experimented with just using the 3M 77 spray glue on the back of the pattern....NO PAINTERS TAPE....If you spray the glue sparingly and give a minute or so for the drying to take place where the back is barely tacky and apply on wood it Holds Great and Peels off with very little trouble.  Glue residue is Minimum.  Easily sanded off.  Anyway....Just was thinking about this and wanted to give my 13 cents worth......................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
Re: Applying Patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:22:06 pm »
For my part i use an adhesive(rubber) glue in pot, but that required more sanding
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:37:27 pm by pierre62 »
Pierre

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »
I've been using 3M 77 for a couple years for applying patterns to things.  I get along fine with it.  To remove a pattern I wipe it with Mineral Spirits, let it sit an few seconds and lift the paper off.  Any glue can also be wiped off with M.S.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:19:27 pm »
Been Reminiscing sort of..  Started Scrolling and being involved with Steves Forum maybe 6 years ago.  Learned from all the Great People we have here.  Always....Always....  Routine....  Sand wood Good....  Put on BLUE painters tape.  Use Spray glue on TAPE and back of Pattern....APPLY PATTERN....cut. cut AND more CUTTING.  Be HAPPY when that LAST cut was made.  Yea!  ....THEN....  Spend LOTS AND LOTS of time REMOVING the PAINTERS TAPE WITH THE PATTERN.  Oh the Many years of this.  Hey..This is the way I was taught.  I continued to fulfill this procedure with each and Every Project.   Yes....Over 6 years....  Now I find a Easy way to Make Each and Every project a Happy Ending.  Have you guessed yet?  Yep....  Not use the painters tape.  LOL   And the MORAL OF THIS....
                                                TO EACH HIS OWN.  Yes?                                Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline danpage1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:37:09 am »
Like a lot of scrollers out there been doing it for 15 years or so. I have learned a lot from this site in the past year. I personally have never used the painters tape. I just use spray adhesive and usually don't have any trouble with getting it to peel off after I am done cutting. If I do then I use the mineral spirits and it comes right off.

Offline Mimi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:03:23 am »
I use the painters tape just because when I go watch television it give me something to do while sitting there. I have never had a problem with the tape way. Everyone have a nice day.
Mimi

pddesertrat

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:25:21 am »
I'm wondering if the 3M 77 give the same lubrication as is talked about with the painters tape?  I have never used blue tape but have read about it's lubricating.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:35:10 am »
I use the 77 glue on pattern then put clear tape on top of it works for me don't think there is a right or wrong method for this just personal preference

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 01:55:46 pm »
I like the blue tape on the wood, 3M && sprayed on back of pattern then a layer of clear packing tape over pattern.  Easily peels off and no residue or sanding required.   :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

SMF

Teknoromi