Author Topic: Scroll Saw Blades  (Read 1980 times)

NormB

Scroll Saw Blades
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:06:32 am »
I know this is a very Controversial subject with most scroll saw folks but just had to share my experience with you.  I have for years been suing the FD flying Dutchman blades I get them from Mikes Workshop great prices.  I recently ran into an blurb about the great PS wood Super Sharp blades and just had to check it out.  One these are VERY expensive blades but I thought well if they are all that good I should give them a try.  I purchased  2 dozen blades #2 and #5 to try.  I found these blades are very expensive and do not cut as well as the FD blades I have been using.  The PS wood blades are like cutting with a coping saw rather than a scroll saw.  The blades dull very quickly in comparison with the FD blades.  I tried to talk to these folks at PS Wood but had not contact for email that I could find but anyway I will stick with the FD blades the other blades can take a hike far as I am concerned especially at the price.

thumbs

Re: Scroll Saw Blades
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:01 pm »
thanks for the info, Norm--I also use F/D blades--I was on e-bay the other day and saw a listing for 6 crown tooth blades for $16.84 . so I ask the seller if the posting was right or did he mean 6 doz. blades--His reply was that it's for only 6 blades--I was going to get back to him about checking other listings but  didn't--For all the scroller's sake I hope they read the post--Richard

NormB

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »
It is my experience but I think it was like 9.?? a dozen for those blades very expensive and in my mind not worth it.  Olson blades cost more the the FD  but no that much more, I just do not like Olson blades as well as the FD blades.  I like to keep an open mind but this was so far out and the testimonials on his page abut how great the blades were not sure on that one. 

I just hope it saves some a bit of money.     

Offline danpage1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 08:10:41 pm »
I used to use the Olson blades and had good luck with them and then I tried the FD blades from Mike. The FD blades hold up a lot better in my opinion and do very good work for what I do.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:28:54 am »
Mike will be missed when he finally retires.  He is after all 84.  Good friend and love his service.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:51:06 pm »
for myself i use pegass and not very expensive.

Pierre

Woodchuck

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:45:21 am »
I too find that FD blades are better than Olson. The quality of the Olson blades seems to vary greatly from blade to blade. In my experience you can not beat getting FD blades from Mikes.

Bill Ellis

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:00:47 am »
It is o/k for all of you that live in the States but when you live in the U/K we have to put up with what  we can get! I use Peggas but would use some thing else if available. What does FD stand for and what is the address for ordering?

Bill Ellis

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:17 am »
FD stands for Flying Dutchman and it is my understanding that they are available in the UK.  I'm sure that one of our UK members will let you know where to order them.  Although I still use Olson for some things, I agree, that FD blades are superior to any other on the market and quite affordable.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 08:17:06 am »
I use FD as well and they work well and are priced well. BUT if you're interested in something completely different, take a look at this posting:
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=16852.msg156622#msg156622
These are specialty spiral blades and a bit pricey, but my impression is that they may provide very long life (no proof of that yet, just my impression).

Does anyone know of a test protocol to compare the life of saw blades? It would be an interesting if we could actually post a test report. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

UHMNL

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:59:47 am »
For the people in the UK or any other country, just email me and I am glad to send them.
www.mikesworkshop.com  So far I have sold to 46 different countries.
FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi