Author Topic: hinges  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
hinges
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:02:08 am »
I am making small boxes but when I install the hinges, (for 1/4 inch wood) the heads of the screws bump together and hold the lid open. what am I doing wrong?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: hinges
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »
It could be one of several things.
You could have installed the hinges back ward. ie is there a counter sink for the screw head to recess into. Are you using the corect side of the hinge? Is the counter sink deep enough for the screw head?
Also did you notch a recess in the back of the box for the hinge? is it deep enough? you need some clearance so that the leaves of the hinge are paralell when closed with the screws in place.
Maybe the heads of the screws are too big for the hinge and you need to step a size or two down on the screws.
Are you pre-drilling for the screws and keeping the holes 90 degrees to the surface so the screws seat flush?
Just a few things to look for.
OH YEA!!!!! and DAMHIKT but, could the lid be warped?

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:21:41 am »
checked all your suggestions,  Thanks.  I must have gotten poor hinges because the holes are not counter sunk for the screws. The hinges I have will only work one way.   So assuming I am using cheap/wrong hinges, is there a better place to buy hinges than my local craft store?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:07:54 am »
Try a local hardware store (Ace Hardware) or independently owned(Phone Book). Home Depot, Lowes, ask an assitant for help. Online http://www.woodcraft.com/, or do a search for other online stores.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:16:14 am »
Good sources for hardware are also - Lee Valley and Meisel Hardware.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Becky

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:43:27 pm »
Hobby Lobby and Ben Franklin Crafts has hinges if you have one near you.

Ihe first time I tried to add hinges, I was thinking like hinges on a door and didn't realize the hinges I had were meant to be installed flat against the *ouside* of the back of the box I was making.  When I went to the Rockler website to look at their hinges, I saw a picture.  DOH!

It was still a problem as the screws were too long for a 1/4" box that had been sanded to a fraction smaller than that.  A wire cutter fixed that but I wish the screws that came with the hinges were a little shorter.

SMF

Teknoromi