Author Topic: Image Copyrights  (Read 1749 times)

Nathan

Image Copyrights
« on: April 20, 2010, 03:39:12 pm »
I like to make my own patterns by getting pictures off of Google Images, Photoshopping them, then turning them black and white.  If I tried to sell patterns made from pictures from Google, could I get into trouble from copyright laws?

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Image Copyrights
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:44:18 pm »
I do not think so as long as they are public domain images to begin with.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:20:15 pm »
More specifically I would google "Public Domain Photos" to be safe.  I use alot of copyrighted photos, paintings, etc but can't sell them, so I do it for my own taste and home.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:53:06 pm »
Hi Nathan, most photo's you will find using google image search are copyrighted. I have in the past ask the photographer for permission. I have been turned down and received permission. It can sometimes be difficult to find the owner because so many of the images on the web are being used without permission already. You want to make sure that whomever you ask is the actual owner.

Nathan

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:41:09 pm »
Hi Nathan, most photo's you will find using google image search are copyrighted. I have in the past ask the photographer for permission. I have been turned down and received permission. It can sometimes be difficult to find the owner because so many of the images on the web are being used without permission already. You want to make sure that whomever you ask is the actual owner.
Okay, thanks.  Do you know of any public-domain-only sites where there are no copyrights?

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:33:48 pm »
Hi Nathan, do a google search for "public domain photos" and you will find many site. Some are better than others but I have found a few images this way that were usable.

SMF

Teknoromi