Author Topic: magnifying glass and light  (Read 1817 times)

Offline twallace

• View Profile
magnifying glass and light
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:15 am »
Hi Steve,
I am new and have a dw788 and I use corrective lense . I do have problems following lines and would like to employ a maglite but dont know which is the best. I would like you to recommend one that fits the dw788 and effective.  thanks Tom

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: magnifying glass and light
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:33:47 am »
I also wear glasses so I bought this light http://www.busybeetools.com/products/magnifying-lamp-90-led-table-mounting.html but I got it on sale at about 1/2 the listed price.  (I think the price reflects the low exchange for the Canadian dollar.)  I like it, the lights are effective and the flip-up cover helps keep the lens clean.

Busy Bee ships to the US, if that is where you are.  If you are in Canada, they will ship it to you for free - new policy: free shipping over $100.

Instead of mounting it on the saw, I mounted it on the edge of a nearby table.  This eliminates any vibration of the saw being transmitted to the light, and more importantly, to the view of the line through the magnifier.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline twallace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:46 pm »
Hi Jim,
Actually have purchased several tools from busybee in toronto. I looked at the link that you gave and it looks a lot like  this one attached.  What is the heat like and is it sturdy I like the idea that it could be mounted elsewhere . How long have you been using it?
tom

90 LED Magnifier Lamp with Clamp Base - 5" Lens
By Duratool (21-10265)
MCM Part #21-10265
4 stars 15 reviews
$57.69 usd

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »
I've had it for a couple of years.  The LEDs aren't hot and the whole assembly is quite sturdy but it is still easy to move the magnifier into position.  It can wiggle back and forth for a few seconds when you adjust it but it settles down quickly.

Your lamp looks similar to the Busy Bee lamp but it is not exactly the same. Mine has a handle to use when moving the lamp and it also has a mounting bracket.  You can drill a hole in a block of wood as a mount but the clamp is very handy.

In short, they look similar but are not the same product although the list prices are about the same when you take the differences in the dollars into account.  Which is better, I don't know.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Offline twallace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:39:09 am »
Jim , I thank you for your very informative reply.  Think I will go with your experience and busy bee.
tom

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:36:27 am »
Glad I could help.  Good luck with your new lamp.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi