Author Topic: Krylon finish  (Read 1844 times)

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Krylon finish
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:10:56 am »
On the video for making the oval key fobs you mention buying a Krylon finish from Walmart for $3.00 a can but you don't mention the name other than Krylon, is it Lacquer or some other finish?  I tried to read the can label on the video unsuccessfully.
TIA
Bob
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Krylon finish
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:24:18 am »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »
Russ is the "Crystal Clear Acrylic" what he was recommending?
EX-21

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:09:02 am »
That final spray finish can be any number of products.  I personally use spar urethane (usually by Minwax) on most projects.  It has a UV protection that alot of them don't.  A clear acrylic, poly urethane, spar urethane, shelac etc. normally comes in a variety of finishes.  matte, semi-gloss, gloss, high gloss - it's all up to your taste.  I don't care for the crylon - not because of the product but because of the spray nozzle.  I look for a fine mist nozzle.  The regular spray nozzles on paint cans is too heavy a spray for me.  I would rather do a few light coats instead of a heavy one.  That final finish spray is a matter of personal taste, they will all give you a nice finish.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:46 am »
Bob, that is what he uses on some of his videos on some of his projects.  8)

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:28:15 am »
Ok Thanks.  Will have to check out Wallyworld on the next rip there! :)  Just looked on line and Wallyworld is proud of that stuff $8.99 a can.
Bob
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:32:44 am by tvman44 »
EX-21

Becky

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:51:59 pm »
Wow, you can get Deft spray lacquer for less than $6 at Lowes and Home Depot.  I'd go that route if you have one nearby.

IBMer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:03:50 am »
Walmarts in my area seem to have removed spray Lacquer products from their shelves.   I've checked most of the Walmarts in the area and the few cans I found were in the clearance isle.     Does anyone know why they pulled Lacquer sprays?   They still have Minwax spray, but only in the Poly format.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:02 am »
@ Bob, there is a cheaper one that is at Walmart that I use that is only about $4 a can with tax. My first post had the more expensive one. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-11-oz-Acrylic-Crystal-Clear-Glass/17253580

jblock

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:07:31 am »
I use the Krylon Triple Thick from Walmart. Dries very nicely. Its only like $3.50 a can but it is hard to find sometimes.

countryscroller

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:52:27 pm »
I use Krylon Clear Acrylic quite a bit. I just use it for a quick finish on projects, mostly portraits. But for nicer items that really show the grain and you can touch it,( not portraits because they are in a frame with glass over the front) I use a lacquer. In my opinion lacquer not only brings out the grain nicely, it also makes it smooth. I find you have to definitely use steel wool or something in between coats of Krylon to make it smooth.

SMF

Teknoromi