Author Topic: O Holy Night  (Read 1804 times)

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
O Holy Night
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:07:58 am »
Although I have nowhere near the ability of some, I would like to offer a suggestion for anyone making the "O Holy Night" pattern or any similar type.
Instead of cutting the outside of the pattern first, as Steve suggested, I cut all of the inside work first. Then paint (or not) the backing and and glue it to the pattern.
That way when you cut the outside it, will then be perfectly attached to the front without the worry of it slipping while gluing. If the backing was the same type of wood as the front, the seam is almost invisible.
Hope this helps.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Re: O Holy Night
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:56:43 am »
Hey Better Moustrap I say.  Normally I follow that way, but always paint backer and then glue.  Thanks....Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline dwayne23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 10:52:27 am »
I would like to see a picture.

Offline Berta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 06:53:27 am »
That is a pretty good idea.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 07:53:55 pm »
The guy who taught me taught me to always cut the inside pieces first.  That way you have the most to hold on to.  As he put it, you have the bigger 'steering wheel' to guide the saw through the cuts.

Offline bobphcs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:36:33 am »
I tend to always cut the inside cuts first so I have a bigger pieced to steer.  I often cut the perimeter as if it were an interior cut also by drilling an entry hole and cutting around the pattern from that (last).  Then I can re-insert the pattern piece into the waste so I have something to brace in case I need to file or sand.  It has saved me from breaking delicate, thin areas.  I save the interior waste pieces as well for the same reason. 

SMF

Teknoromi