Author Topic: Problem with viewing SOME Downloads. ????  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Problem with viewing SOME Downloads. ????
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:16 pm »
Hello to all the Computer Geniuses....

Had this problem last year....Can't remember how it got Corrected.  Help....?

When I double click on something I have downloaded all that pops up is a
PAGE of Jibber Jabbish.  Guess could call it Coded Letters?  Don't know....

Can someone lead me on to fixing this?

Thank Ya's Greatly in Advance........................Danny  :+(
Danny  :+}

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with viewing SOME Downloads. ????
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »
Don't know if this helps.  Sometimes we get e-mails that have a web site, but it is not blue.  If we click it, nothing happens.

What does work is to "Copy" and "Paste" it onto your Home Page & hit "Enter".  Hope this helps, but usually if someone wants a "little" help the come to me, because I'm as little a help as you could find.

jerry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:52:17 am »
Windows saves your preferred program to open different types of files like text (.txt are opened by notebook), images (.jpg, .gif. etc.), .pdf (by Acrobat), or spreadsheets (.xls by Excel). If you try to open a file that does not have a program preference set, you should be prompted for which program to use.

I wonder if you've accidentally set a preference that is not compatible with that type of file. You might try opening a program that you know should work (like GIMP for a .jpg) then use [File][Open] to open the downloaded file. If it's still jibberish then that file may have been corrupted during download. If it opens OK then try to reset your preferred program for that file type.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Malistar22

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »
I concur with EIEIO. It sounds like your file association got changed. What is the file you are trying to open? Is it a document, a picture? Something else? You can manually change which programs open which files, but without knowing what operating system you use or a lot more detail, I'd rather not confuse you more.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:59:15 pm »
Well Ray I did exactly what you said....Preferences and changed to IE to open and Bingo it opened.  It was a Picture I downloaded from Here I think?  Might of been FB.  ? 

Free File Viewer was set as the default file opener, but somewhere I read or heard about not using this....SO....I just Uninstalled it. 

Had 2 other Pictures with the same Gibberish, but even with IE still didn't open.  Got tired of messing with this problem....SO....Just Deleted them.  All is Ok now.  Yea! 

Thanks for all your help....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi