Author Topic: GIMPed Again  (Read 1802 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
GIMPed Again
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:20:41 pm »
After tweaking my portrait pattern in GIMP and Inkscape, [Object][Fill & Stroke] the pattern in red, and saved in JPEG, GIF or PNG it refuses to open. In attempting to localize the problem it appears that it's the final change in Inkscape to a red image that upsets the software as it opens o.k. in black outline in any other format. Whatever is causing the prob seems to be after I put it through [Object][Fill & Stroke]. It doesn't matter what program I try to open the file in, or what the extension is. Up to that point I can open it in any program.

The .pdf was straightforward up to the final couple of para.s. regarding use of the fill bucket to search for floaters. My .svg image doesn't change at all when I click on the image in GIMP and try to use the fill bucket. Also, when I use the lasso feature how can I ensure the background is white and not black? Thank you, Barry.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: GIMPed Again w
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 03:22:11 am »
foreground/background colors are set on the toolbar. There are 2 small squares that overlap a bit. The top square is the foreground color. There is also a curved arrow next to that. Clicking the curved arrow swaps foreground and background. There is also a button to reset to the default Black over White. Clicking either of the small squares brings up a color dialog to set that color.

Background color is what you get when you erase. So a White background can be used with the eraser to clean up noise and to build bridges for floaters.

If you email me your B&W and RED svg files from Inkscape I'll see if I can load them into GIMP 2.6.2 and let you know.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Re: GIMPed Again
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:17:21 pm »
O.K., floaters/ fill bucket is working, and things are looking up again. The only thing left I'm having a little trouble with is applying text to my image. Followed your instructions (thank you) and opened my .svg image in GIMP (Inkscape is now closed). When I click on the [Text] box the cursor turns into "crosshairs". When I click on the area within the image where I want my text I get a funky little purple icon-y thing that can be a small square, or four squares together. Also, the dialogue box that pops up for [Text] provides minimal selection, i.e., Open, Clear, LTR (l-to-r), RTL r-t-l), and a check box with "use selected font". All it allows me to do is key into the window but won't do anything with it. Any suggestions. Thank you, Barry.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:44:22 pm »
In text mode you click in your frame and the box pops up for entering text. Type in your text then click on Close. The text will print in the frame with a dotted line around it. The tool bar is still set on text and at the bottom of the tool bar are a bunch of controls for font face, size, alignment, etc. As you change things like the size it will change in the frame. If you go to the frame an click on the text you will get the edit box again. Note you can put carriage returns in the text edit box to make multiple lines of text.
When done, unselect the text and [image][flatten image] then save.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:11:05 am »
Thank you Ray. I am very grateful for your patience and support. Cheers, Barry.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:24:10 am by overfifty »

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 11:05:51 am »
The pop up dialogue box wasn't popping up regardless of what I did. I went on Youtube to see what it looked like, and only found it by accident under "toolbox". As you suggested it was straightforward thereafter. How do you get rid of the box surrounding the name when your finished? I can cut around it if it prints out, but nothing I click on makes it disappear. Can you bend the text? Thank you, Barry.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:04:58 pm by overfifty »

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:56:46 am »
When you insert new text in GIMP it actually creates a new layer. If you could see just that layer, you would see the text that you typed on a full frame checkerboard.

This lets you move the text around on top of the original image. The dotted lines around the text are indicating the extent of that text box. If you use [Image][Flatten image] GIMP will merge that new text layer with the main image and the dotted lines should go away.

(how to see just the text layer: - open any image, insert some text, [Layers][Stack][Select next layer] to get the image layer active, then [Layers][Delete layer] to delete the image layer and see just the layer with your text on a checkerboard).
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 12:53:19 pm »
Thank you Ray. Check out my latest "victim". I'm starting on his sister's photo next.

SMF

Teknoromi