Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Windows 8
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:42:11 am »
My wife and I would like to buy new laptops, but they all come with Windows 8 today.  We've tried this and it was just too confusing to us "old" folks.  Is there a way to substitute Windows 7 instead?
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Malistar22

Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:31 am »
When you order online from Dell, you can still get it with Windows 7 I believe. Talk to a Dell rep for details. But if you buy it locally in a store, you are kinda screwed.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 04:21:03 pm »
I have a new laptop and find if you work in the Desktop it is just like windows 7.  Few thing different like no media centre but that is okay.

I created short cuts to programs, cmd mode and control panel and it looks and feels like before.  I occasionally venture to the new apps centre and it is okay but I prefer the desk top.

Don

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:07 pm »
I bought the wife and stepdaughter new laptops they are touch screen have win 8, it takes some getting use to, but you can choose desktop and its like 7 or vista, win 8 just has apps you can download, or see sports updates, news weather on a start screen. I was told how ever that 8 is more for a touch screen not a regular computer and has issues. I wouldn't go with dell, I had a dell laptop and the screen started messing up a year later, right now have a hp and love it, have had 2 hp desktops and both have ran great with no issues my last hp desktop ran 6 years and still would have ran but was getting slow.

I could do a vid on how to use win 8 and what stuff does if that would help, or even going youtube and type in how to use win 8 there are lots of vids out there.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:45:39 pm »
We went to the Dell site and bought one with Windows 7 in early November 2013.  We like it.  Doesn't come with MS Word.

jerry1939

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:12:48 am »
Thanks for your input guys.  Wife says she wants to try Win 8 again using your input using Desktop.  Going to Costco tomorrow to pick up a Toshiba unit.  Love their return policy if it doesn't work out!

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:45:49 am »
I just got a new desk top computer, it came with windows 8 and my nephew (he's a techie) took 8 off and installed windows 7.  So if your wife is not happy with windows 8 she can have it taken off and 7 installed.
ChelCass

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:04 am »
Thanks Chelcass.  We'll keep that in mind.

ClayJ

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 03:09:05 pm »
Windows 8.1 is actually allot better and more comfortable than windows 8.  It's a free upgrade to 8.

The start button is back (kind of), and several other features were reverted.  I took the family computer from 7 straight to 8.1 and hardly had any fuss from anyone once I explained the new layout of the "start menu".

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 03:08:15 pm »
My wife and I would like to buy new laptops, but they all come with Windows 8 today.  We've tried this and it was just too confusing to us "old" folks.  Is there a way to substitute Windows 7 instead?

Get windows 7 pro.  Windows 8 is bunch of Bull S*******

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi