Author Topic: Baby steps  (Read 1976 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Baby steps
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »
I originally began this hobby because I was in awe of what I saw being created. To start, rather than going on line and purchasing various species of wood could I get away cutting the segments out of 1/2 - 3/4 in. pine and staining it? I'm guessing grain is an important factor. Comments please. Cheers, Barry.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:20:50 pm by overfifty »

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Baby steps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:59:03 pm »
Hi, Barry,
I still do my intarsia projects in stained pine.
Of course, there are purists and haters out there that
say that is not true intarsia but, as you stated, the grain
width and selection of grain really make a big difference in
the project.
I sell my projects by word of mouth and people don't seem to
mind saving a LOT of money in the price difference of stained pine
and exotic woods.
I showed a photo of one of my projects to Bruce Worthington because it was
his pattern and he said he would not have known it was stained
if I had not pointed it out.
Just my two cents worth.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:19:33 pm »
Thank you. That meant a lot.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:26:36 am »
I think that when you use the same type of wood and stain or paint it it is called "Segmentation",  Not Intarsia.  I have seen some very nice projects done with both methods.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:15 am »
Actually, the difference is easy to define.  Segmentation pieces are cut from a single piece of wood without changing the position of the pieces within the pattern.  The pieces go back together easily because of this.  Intarsia pieces are cut from different angles of the grain to enhance the picture.  Usually from different pieces of wood to get the color effect needed.  That is where the real work begins.  Getting them to fit together in harmony and without gaps.   If you are still cutting your pieces at the grain angles to get the effect, it is intarsia.  Coloring or staining your pieces to get the right effect is not a crime.  We all have our own ways of doing things.  The end result usually speaks for itself.  No haters here.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:24:45 am »
Using scrap wood or other material to do complex projects will build your skill level. A lot of Intarsia is done with all western red cedar, taking advantage of the large color and grain variation. Cedar is pretty cheap and soft so it might be worth trying to find some nicely figured boards to try.

I don't think much of acrylic paint on wood, but stain or a watercolor wash that lets the wood show through is pretty nice. You could get the look of the exotics (from a distance) on your pine practice pieces. Aspen is another candidate for a nice white wood that is not too expensive and can be colored for effect.

Intarsia is usually priced by the number of pieces needed to make the image - $3-5 per piece - to account for the manpower involved. So if you have the skills and a ready market, the cost of exotic wood might not be a big issue. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:13:13 am »
Thank you all. I'll add your comments to my reference notebook. Cheers, Barry.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:58 pm »
Thanks for coming to my defense on the Segmentation vs. Intarsia question,
julief.
As EIEIO mentioned, Western Red Cedar is often used.
Judy Gayle Roberts is known for her INTARSIA and uses Western Red Cedar
rather than exotic woods. I don't think many people would tell her she is
not using Intarsia.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 10:24:52 am »
Another fine example of affordable wood for intarsia is poplar.  You can find every color from almost white to green to dark browns within a single board.  I have wacked off pieces and thrown aside (especially greens) for later use.  I have several small garbage cans in my shop that have small pieces of different colored woods for that very purpose.  I don't do a lot of intarsia and am, by no means an expert, but I have made some beautiful pieces and often times without the exotic wood the pattern called for.  Again, the end result speaks for itself.  If it looks right and you are happy with it, call it good.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 10:58:37 am »
Thank you all for your comments. Cheers, Barry.

Becky

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:07 pm »
I probably shouldn't even be allowed to post in here as I have never even done intarsia (yet).  I have, however, done some segmentation and had some very nice results with TransTint dyes.  I got mine at the local Woodcraft but I am sure you can find them online or at other retailers.  They are pricey at about $15 per bottle (a few years ago) but a little goes a long way and the colors are quite vibrant.  Just a few drops in some denatured alcohol or water.  You can also mix them to get the color you want.

SMF

Teknoromi