Author Topic: Not sure if this is Intarsia or not?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
Not sure if this is Intarsia or not?
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
Looking at all the really cool Intarsia that Al and all the others have posted here gave me the bug to try it. I've been wanting to try it for a while, just didn't think I had the abilities yet. I bought Kathy Wise's Intarsia book and found a very simple train to try out, plus my Nephews B-Day is at the end of the month so I figured if I screwed it up, he wouldn't care too much, he's gonna be two! Now that I'm done with it, I realize there is soo much I should have done differently, choice of wood is one of them. I used Blue Pine, Maple, Walnut, Bloodwood, Purple Heart and White Oak. The Blue pine just didn't give me the look I was hoping for, but it is what it is at this point.

I really don't think this is Intarsia, but it did come out of an Intarsia book, so not sure what to call it. I will say that once I started on it, it was hard to stop. It really was a fun project and now I've really got the bug and will soon try another one of Kathy's patterns till I get to the point that I can make my own.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:26:56 pm by TripleB »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Not sure if tr his is Intarsia or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:28:25 pm »
Looks like Intarsia to me Bob! I think you did a great job on it and I do like the wood selection.
Dan In Southern California

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
Re: Not sure if this is Intarsia or not?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »
Those pieces are beautiful. The natural tones make em!!! Thanx for sharing them.
GO PACK GO

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:23:52 pm »
it sounds to me like you're hooked Bob. GOOD!!!! I think the train could be classified as Intaria and I think you did a very nice job on it. The selections of woods to use is a matter of personal choice. I would have used Walnut for the train engine, but there is nothing wrong with using Blue Pine. That's what makes each project so personal.  I've completed many Intarsia's where, after I've finished them, i wish I'd used something different, but no one else knows the difference.  Good luck on your next Kathy Wise Project, she's a great designer, one of my favorites. 
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline TripleB

• View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:07:32 pm »
Thanks Guy's for the comments!

Al, I debated hard about the wood for the engine I really should have asked for your opinion. But I went with the Blue Pine trying to keep it lighthearted and kid like. I really thought the blue pine would have more of a blue tinge to it. That's the reasoning for that choice.

AL, I have a question for you, actually in reality, probably about 50!. I do like the Kathy Wise book, and I know she has another book out that I will be ordering soon. Do you have any recommended reading material that may help me along with this new venture? Ok sorry can't resist...one more question for now. What thickness wood do you normally work with? Kathy is suggesting 1" on most of her projects, but to me, that seems like a bit of overkill!

Thanks

Bob

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »
Bob, I see you already have Kathy?s ?Intarsia for Beginners? book and the instructions found there are pretty much the same, as you?ll find any place.  Other books may use different words, but the actual steps you go through in making an Intarsia are the same as Kathy?s.

You can go to ?Intarsia.net? where you?ll find a free pattern and step-by-step instructions for making a Teddy Bear Intarsia.  If you click on the picture of the Bear you?ll get the pattern and on the left side of the page click on ?Intarsia E-Book? for the instructions.  Below that, there is also an ?Intarsia E-Book 2? that has instructions for shaping pieces for a Rose Intarsia.

My best advice to you is: pick a few simple patterns and practice shaping the pieces then jump in with both feet.  Larger projects can be broken down into small sections and be completed same as smaller projects.

As far as wood thickness, 1? which, in most cases, is actually ?? thick, is a good choice for making 90% of all Intarsia?s.   It gives you enough thickness to be able to shape individual pieces to give a nice 3D effect and is readily available in most lumber yards and places, such as, Home Depot or Lowe?s.   If you need thicker wood, for a particular piece, you can always use shims or cut a piece from the same board and double the thickness.  I find it?s much easier to sand down rather than build up.

For the other 48 questions, LOL, I?d be more than happy to give you my suggestions. You can ask them here or send me a PM.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline TripleB

• View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:36:33 pm »
Thanks for the advice Al, I have printed the pattern for the Teddy Bear and will give it a go!

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:56:18 am »
Wow, what a nice project. Very cool and a good use too. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:51:36 pm »
looks great, and useful too,  what more could you ask for
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

daliclimbs

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:03:48 pm »
Beautiful work! Very nice wood choices and craftsmanship!

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 05:12:02 pm »
You guys are getting me the "bug" to try.  Maybe this winter (we live in Tucson AZ).

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »
they look great Bob thanks for sharing

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 07:19:19 am »
Looks awesome, thanks for posting.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi