Author Topic: Dewalt DW788  (Read 10875 times)

steviegwood

Re: Dewalt DW788
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:44:41 pm »
Grizzly has given me excellent service for several years and they have the best price that I have found for the 788, stand/light combo. Steve

bluelucky

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26:19 pm »
I got my 788 just after christmas and haven't a a bit of trouble with it and there is almost zero vibration most of the time.. I got mine at Rockler for $489 that included stand, light and lift...It's alot better than the Dremel 1830 I had before..

Michael.......www.luckyscustomscrolling.com

zosmatech

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 12:28:34 am »
I just got mine from tools plus  www.toolsplus.com  I paid $505 for the saw, stand, light and the shipping that blew my mind away by coming the next day. I am in the N.E so standard ups comes in one day. all shipping from them is one price $6.95 for anything. i thought this was all too good to be true, I was in a real hurry to get my saw and when I spoke with them I wanted to pay extra for 2 day shipping and they said don't you should get it tomorrow, because it will go out today.. no joke, sure enough it was at my door at 9:30 am,, 24hrs later. the only thing was the bulb was broken on the lamp and I called them up to ask them if they had a replacement bulb, and the next day they just sent a new lamp in it's place.. this place really rocks. btw, the dewalt lamp bites.... waste of two screw holes.
dim, 60watt but the stand is great, love that you can tilt it too.

http://www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dw788.html

Marshall

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 07:39:02 am »
The Lowe's deal does sound like the way to go ..Tools Plus is the one I brought mine from and at that time it wasn't no good deal > but it sounds good now ....wish I would have known about sites like this one that would have helped me a lot ...good Luck ..........Marshall
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:43:22 am by Marshall »

chefkarl

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 05:22:05 pm »
I am looking for a Dewalt788.  Anyone selling one?

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 09:31:42 pm »
I too purchased my DW788 from Grizzly.  This was my first purchase from them.  I had excellent service, shipped to my door.  Best price around.  They also had a free Grizzly apron and a few other freebies.  I got the saw, stand, light as a package.  The light is ok, but I'm looking into a magnifying glass/light.

I had a cheap Master Mechanic scroll saw I bought for under $100.  It vibrated across the workbench.  I should have let it go!  Buy the Dewalt and you will be smiling.  You will know the feeling when your make your first cut.

mark1945

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 10:04:17 am »
I have outfitted my shop with several machines from Grizzly they are super to deal with. From scroll saw to 17in band saw.

northie66

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:34 pm »
I got my Dewalt 788 from grizzly also.  I got my sander from there too.

I have my 788 bolted to a table.  I've been debating getting the actual stand that is made for it though.  Is it worth it?

I've also thought about making my own stand.  I've seen plans on the internet to make one.

Any advice?

Janet

cherie

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 02:18:29 am »
Everyone likes to talk about Grizzy's, well that is my home away from home.  There is one in Springfield MO about 100 miles from us.  We have bought a planer, bandsaw, lathe, and a few other gadgets.  Love em.

Marshall

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 10:15:31 am »
I got my Dewalt 788 from grizzly also.  I got my sander from there too.

I have my 788 bolted to a table.  I've been debating getting the actual stand that is made for it though.  Is it worth it?

I've also thought about making my own stand.  I've seen plans on the internet to make one.

Any advice?

Janet
Janet I got the stand with mine and I'm perfectly happy with the stand , now I can tell you that I fastened a piece of 4"/4" material on the back side of the botton of the leg where it would make it more comfortable in long time hours of scrolling . I hope this will aid you in some way ...........Marshall
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:17:49 am by Marshall »

chief

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 10:35:18 am »
Definitely buy your Dewalt froom Grizzly.  Got mine about 6 weeks ago.  $500 for saw, stand, light, and shipping UPS.  Couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Dewalt DW788...ALERT!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:34 am »
I just checked...
http://grizzly.com/products/DW788-7880-7881-20-Scroll-Saw-W-Stand-And-Light/H7414

Dewalt D788
New Price, Saw, Stand, Light

$469.95...plus shipping

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chief

Re: Dewalt DW788...ALERT!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 10:59:53 am »
I just checked...
http://grizzly.com/products/DW788-7880-7881-20-Scroll-Saw-W-Stand-And-Light/H7414

Dewalt D788
New Price, Saw, Stand, Light

$469.95...plus shipping

GrayBeard

Thats it plus around $20 shipping.

Spartan scroller

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 09:20:53 pm »
I have a funny story for you about the DW788.  I had been using a delta q3 for the past eight years and was ready to try a new saw because I was breaking a lot of blades with it.  So Santa brought me a DW788 with a nifty stand and light. Cool! But I instantly discoverd a problem. When attaching the blade in my delta q3 I always set the blade in the bottom clamp first.  It tilted nicely out of the way of the upper blade clamp and was very easy to attach.  When I got my DW788 set up I loved the way it performed but setting the blade in the bottom clamp was very awkward. I  struggled with this for about a week when suddenly it hit me DUHHHH!  If you raise the arm of the saw up, chuck it with a 2x4 block and set the blade in the TOP
clamp first, then lower the arm it drops right into the bottom clamp perfectly and you just tighten the screw, Bob's your uncle, and your ready to go!  Sometimes I'm a little slow to notice things.  That's why I'm glad I have all of you guys to help me out.

Regards, Terry

EZgoing

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 09:12:22 am »
Hey guys... shortly after making my previous post in this thread, I was PM'ed by a member here.. saying that they had printed out the Grizzly info and had taken it to their local Lowe's customer service desk and was promptly turned away... with customer service saying that it had to be a 'local retailer' before they would honor the 10% low price guarantee...

So, I contacted a good friend of mine that worked for Lowe's for several years, and my daughter who was the manager of the millwork department (windows and doors) of our local Lowe's.... and I looked for well over an hour on the Lowe's site for a clarification of their Low Price Guarantee policy.. to no avail..  So, I contacted their corporate office for a clarification... 

Lowe's corporate policy on the subject is... (word for word of what they said)..

"Dear Lowe's Customer:

Thank you for your interest in Lowe's.

We guarantee our everyday competitive prices.  If you find a lower everyday or advertised price on an identical stock item at any local retail competitor that has the item in stock, we'll beat their price by 10% when you buy from us.  Just bring us the competitor's current ad or other confirmation of the price that you have found.

Lowe's reserves the right to verify the lower price prior to sale.  Cash/charge card and carry purchases only.  Competitor's closeout, special order, discontinued, clearance, liquidation and damaged items are excluded from this offer.  On percent off sales, we will match the competitor's percent off offer.  Limited to reasonable quantities for homeowner and one-house order quantities for cash and carry contractors.  Current in-store price, if lower, overrides Lowe's advertised price.  Price guarantee honored at all Lowe's retail locations.  Labor charges for product installation are excluded from our price guarantee offer in our stores with an installed sales program.  Visit a store for details.

For the address, phone number, and hours of operation for the store closest to you, please visit our Store Locator at:  http://www.lowes.com/StoreLocatorDisplayView.

If you have any further questions or comments, you may send an e-mail to CustomerCare@lowes.com.

Thank you,

Lisa
Lowe's Customer Care"

Now, if you look in the first paragraph, they do have an 'out' with the local retailer part... BUT, both my close friend and my daughter said to skip over the customer service desk and to ask for the MOD (Manager On Duty) or the store general manager and explain to them that you are going to buy a DW788... 'today' and have found that Grizzly has them available at XX.XX price.. (showing them the proof from Grizzly).  Explain that they are a retailer, they have physical stores across the nation (not a fib) and are one of Lowe's competitors.. and to ask them if he/she will beat the price by 10% as per their Low Price Guarantee or do you go to Grizzly to buy it today instead... 

They both noted that you need to be in a position and ready to buy then and there... Both sources stated that they have never known a manager to back out of a deal like that.. as they want the money of a fairly big ticket item to go on their books, and not another retailer.. AND, they suggested that if that manager passes up on the deal, to go to the next Lowe's store (assuming you have another one in your area) and try the same thing..

So, I learned something, and I hope this helps others out in the process... 

Ez

SMF

Teknoromi