Author Topic: Hold Down Foot  (Read 6000 times)

ufgator

Hold Down Foot
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:02:01 am »
How many use the hold down foot to keep your work on the work surface of your saw and not bouncing?  If not, WHY not.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hold Down Foot
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:53 am »
I removed mine. It got in my way especially doing inside cuts. Harder to see pattern etc. I have not had any problems with just holding the project with my hands.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

thumbs

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:26:02 am »
threw mine away right out of the box--gets in the way and I keep my speed at about medium so that I have better control--If the blade is catching the wood you might need a new blade--Richard aka thumbs

cherie

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:52:19 pm »
After a bit of practice, I took mine off also.  Jaun is just amazed at how close I get to the blade with my fingers.  I agree that it gets in the way of patterns and is more in the way when working on a large piece that requires an inside cut.

northie66

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:14:46 pm »
I took mine off out of the box too upon the recommendation of a saw buddy.  He said it gets in the way and I believe him.  I've never tried it with it on.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »
As a scroll saw instructor at Woodcraft in Ventura Ca. I have to teach the students to use the hold down on the saws in class. At the end of the class I tell them they can saw without them at home.
The hold down is mandated by law on all scroll saws sold in the U.S. But as others have said it gets in the way especialy when cutting inside cuts.
On some saws the air blower tube is mounted to the hold down, so you have to keep it installed unless you can mount the air hose someplace else.
I have two DW788's in my shop, and do not have them istalled on either.
Dan In Southern California

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 07:01:10 pm »
I don't use the hold down foot.  I was interested to read it was a Government mandate.  LOL
best regards,

Bud Prine

Marshall

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »
My hold down foot is still in the plastic bag it came in , after years of scrolling I have learned that this device was always causing me trouble until I took it off and then the scrolling world opened up for me ......my two cents worth..........Marshall

Logon

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:13:13 pm »
when I started out scrolling I used the foot. I does hold the project down. But over the years doing more delicate cuts I started removing, then putting it back. But now it has been off so long I can't rember the last time I have used it. It is not a bad thing it just gets in the way sometimes!

Logon

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
I have a Hegner 18v and I started to use the hold down when I first started to scollsaw but it became a nuisance so I just pushed it up as far as it goes and locked it in that position. The reason I didn't remove it is just in case I had to use it I didn't have to look for it and take the time to install it.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Joesawdust

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 01:48:18 pm »
I use mine for a dust collecting paperweight

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »
I got a very nice hold down foot with my Dewalt 788.  I took it out of the box and threw it in a corner of the workbench. Still have all ten fingers.

EZgoing

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 04:10:22 am »
I used my foot when I first started, but quickly learned it was more of a pain in the butt than it was worth...

Ez

cornishpisky

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 07:32:22 am »
I've never used the holdown foot, it would just be in my way, obstruct my vision and slow down my blade changes, i've never had any real problems with the wood jumping about and i still have all my fingers...

Ian

ufgator

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:10 am »
Thanks for all the feed back.  I started to go without the foot yesterday for the first time and had not real problems.  I never realized how much of a pain it really was.  It will take little time to get out of the habit of moving it out of the way all the time, especially on inside cuts.  Your all Great!

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

SMF

Teknoromi