Author Topic: What type of Scrollsaw is best  (Read 5082 times)

Ken0122

What type of Scrollsaw is best
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:51:04 am »
I will be retiring soon and need a good scroll saw to bring back the fun. I have an old no-name saw that I had to add a blower and (at the time) was a quick release blade change but now seams so primitive.
What should I look for in a scroll saw?

Thanks  Ken ::)

kennybruzda

Re: What type of Scrollsaw is best
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:18:54 pm »
I use a Hegner 18' varible speed, i know that they ard a top of the line saw, but in the 15+ years of use, there has been no problems. All you have to do is oil it at 2 spots about every 8 hours. They are indestructable, and if something happens parts are available.

cherie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:16:17 pm »
This is a question in which you will get many answers.  I started with a Dremel, do not remember what type, but it was awful.  Vibrated badly and I broke many blades with out trying.  I was going to purchase and RBI Hawk G4 I think it was, had the money in hand, but found this Shopsmith by accident.  I paid $400.00 for it.   No vibrations and no blade breakage, unless it is my fault.
Use your own judgment, but I think the best beginner saw would be the Dewalt.  I never tried it, but read many great reviews.  It can even be converted into a top lift I believe.  Someone correct me please.

Marshall

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:44:08 pm »
I'm no expert by far , I started out on a Craftsman for about 10 years and it did just fine until I wore out the jaws and now I use it for the fine detail sanding between fine pieces . I brought my new Yellow Dewalt 788 about 4 years ago > and I can safely say it's all I ever wanted and more > perfectly happy with this production Saw . I'm not saying it's the best ,but sometimes you do get what you pay for ................Marshall  8)

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:25:24 pm »
Buy the Dewalt 788.  If you can't afford new, try CraigsList or other online sites. It is a great saw for the money.  Buy cheap, get cheap. Having inferior tools is no fun. :(

Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 01:21:59 am »
I bought a Dewalt 788 from Rockler last Thanksgiving ( Black Friday Sale ) for $450.00 with stand and light. I have been very happy. I had a Ryobi prior. For a inexpensive saw the Ryobi was ok, blade changes were harder. However I did not break blades with it.

Dan

gunado

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:39:18 am »
I have a Delta variable speed model I picked up s/h as new. it is a great saw but not made anymore.

Cheers

patch

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 05:42:22 am »
I have Excalibur , Delta and a GMC I use the Excalibur most of the time the delta is used when the Excalibur is set up to do something ells and the GMC I have not seen it for a while but it is there some place in the workshop

Offline geno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 08:31:37 am »
I bought the Dewalt dw788 a couple of years ago from Grizzly including light and stand for under $500.00 and I think it is a great saw.
    http://www.grizzly.com/

Marshall

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:14 am »
I bought the Dewalt dw788 a couple of years ago from Grizzly including light and stand for under $500.00 and I think it is a great saw.
    http://www.grizzly.com/
  And if anyone is looking to buy a new Scroll-Saw Grizzly's has the best deal on the Dewalt 788 right now .......Marshall

chief

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 10:14:36 am »
I have to concur on the Dewalt.  I also just got mine from Grizzly about 6 weeks ago.  $500 for saw, stand and woklight shipped to my door.

daneklund

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »
I have had an Eclipse scrollsaw for over 6 years and a Delta prior to that.  The Eclipse was expensive at the time I purchased it, but prices on all of the saws have increased.  It is a pleasure to cut with.  I really like the extra long stroke - 1.5", so a blade may last up to an hour or so.  Because of the true vertical movement of the blade it works great for stack cutting.  I would be interested in hearing from other Eclipse owners.

cameronj

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 02:20:20 pm »
I started years ago with a Ryobi, but it didn't have a blower or quick release system for changing blades.  I have had my present saw (Dewalt 788) for almost 10 years.  It is still working great  after hundreds of hours of use.  I would recommend it.
Jim

jimp11

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »
old yellow here ;)

garyw

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:55 pm »
hi all ive used a hegner for the last 2 years or so i picked it up s/h as x school. you just have 2 bit to oil and that it they seem to just keep going on and on and the nice thing you can get all the spares for them

SMF

Teknoromi