Author Topic: Lateral play on saw  (Read 4256 times)

Russell

Lateral play on saw
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »
Hello all,

I have been a wood worker for many years and bought a very cheap scroll saw a few years ago, with a view to taking up the hobby.  I used it a couple of times and found that it scrolling was not as easy as it looked, so I placed it back on the shelf and forgot about it.  The saw is a Ferm FFZ-400N, cheap and cheerful.  Anyway it has been stuck in the workshop for a few years gathering dust and rust.  Last month I was trolling through the net and came across Scrollsaw Workshop.  It prompted me to ressurect the scroll saw and have another go.  I have modified it to allow quick blade changes, moved the tensioner from the bottom of the machine to the top and polished the table.  I have been practicing, but find it very difficult to keep to the pattern/lines.  I do realise that this is just part of the learning curve, pardon the pun, however I noticed that the saw has a lot of lateral play and the tips of the arms move from side to side about 1/8".  Is this normal?  I find the blade floats to some extent when I am turning the workpiece and cuts slightly off vertical when it does this.

I was intending to stick with the machine until I become profficient and then maybe move on to something better if I progress with the hobby.  My wife describes my hobby as 'collecting hobbies', LOL, so I do not want to spend money on equipment just yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Russell.

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
Re: Lateral play on saw
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »
I too had a cheap scroll saw.  Nothing will turn you off like poor quality tools.  I would suggest finding someone who has a Dewalt788 and trying it.  You could also test drive one in a store.  I would then look on CraigsList for one used. I saw one on CL for $250. I am still amazed at how quiet and smooth the DW788 is.  My old Master Mechanic scroll saw ($75 new) was more frustrating than it was worth.

chief

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:40 pm »
I absolutely concur.  My first saw was a VS 16" Ryobi and the blade holders always broke.  I had to keep spares handy all the time.  I finally trashed it and got a Delta 16" VS, which I gave to my uncle and he just gave it back to me.  Now I use a DW788.  It is a little pricey but I think it is worth every penny.  I got mine from Grizzly for just under $500 with the stand and light shipped to my door.  The light isnt very bright though I will try a different bulb from the one that came with it.

keidiag

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:09:12 am »
I have to agree with everyone. I used a cheap saw for a while and got frustrated then I tried the 788 and fell in love with it. I've had my 788 for about 3 years now and I'm always impressed with the fine work I can do. I can even put a #8/0 jewelers blade into it and still cut 1/2" BB. You can't do this with a cheaper saw. Trust me... you won't regret the investment.

Keith

Russell

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:37 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I live in the UK and the Dewalt machine is not available over here.  I am afraid I am stuck with the Ferm for the time being.  I will continue to try and modify it. 

Still not sure whether the arm should have play from side to side, or not.

EZgoing

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:36:19 am »
I have no idea about how your Ferm is built, but on my 'cheapie' saw, it uses a specialty 'pin' and bushing set-up.

IF you know of anyone in your area that could turn down the 'pin' so it's true again, and could make you a new bushing to match, or maybe sleeve the bushing to fit tighter (actually a pair of bushings to cover both arms), then you would be set with a nice and tight set of arms...

I have no one in this area with a metal lathe... but often thought if I did, I'd try that with my Master Craft saw.. My side play is closer to 1/4" on the upper arm, and about 3/16" on the lower arm...  Sure is 'fun' trying to do some of Steve's patterns.. LOL

I also thought that by drilling and taping the arms, I could add grease fittings to pretty much eliminate the wearing problem in the future... 

Just some random thoughts...

Ez

mouse

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:38:22 am »
Still not sure whether the arm should have play from side to side, or not.

Hi Russell,
My newish (3 month) SIP has quite a lot of side play in the arm bearings but it runs spot on central. Check the blade is square to the table and if it is then dont worry about it. The bearing are plain and as long as you oil them regularly will last a very long time.

EZgoing

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:19:12 pm »
What kind of side play does the DW 788 have?

Ez

keidiag

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:31:24 pm »
EZgoing...

The DW788 (Old Yeller) doesn't have any side play whatsoever.

Keith

SMF

Teknoromi