Author Topic: Owners of a DeWalt I have a question?  (Read 3648 times)

wildbill

Owners of a DeWalt I have a question?
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:28:50 am »
In January I retired my first and only scroll saw a Sears 20" contractors saw purchased in 1985 great saw but it was time to go new.  So I went to Woodcraft and got a great deal on 788 the whole pack.
Stand and light for under 550.00 out the door.  The only draw back is when I am cutting and not wearing a apron the sawdust goes into my lap.  It's a mess and of course I get spoken too when I leave my bunker to take a break. Does any one have any ideas on how I can collect the dust some how?

jim stiek

Re: Owners of a DeWalt I have a question?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:45:55 am »
this is an issue with any top loader as the bottom chuck needs to be eaisly accessable I use an apron and try to position myself away from the main dust pattern, have at times used a small shop vac with an attachment aquired from Ray at SEYCO.

wildbill

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:52:08 am »
I am understanding that is a problem with the saw.  I have tried to hook my shop vac to the saw but I am having a hard time mounting it so it will stay put.  Thanks for the reply.

Marshall

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:26:39 am »
WildBill I put a small fan that blows across the side and it takes the sawdust away . I have a friend that has mounted a filter to the back of a cheap box fan and he says that it sucks most of the dust away from him .............Marshall     :o

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:31:46 am »
I use the furnace filter attached to a box fan trick and it works wonders for keeping the dust down in the shop and the attached blower helps to keep my lap empty.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

northie66

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:38:39 pm »
I just let it all go all over me.  Nothing like being all sawdusty... makes me feel alive  :D

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:22:41 pm »
Hi WildBill -

The only saw I have ever owned is a 788.  I assumed that the sawdust would get all over you on any brand.  I am going to set up a box fan like Marshall is talking about and see how it works.  Thanks for asking the question.

Barry

keidiag

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:01:13 pm »
I installed a cardboard box under the saw with a flange that reaches up as high as it will go underneath the saw, the dust slides down the flange into the box. It catches about 75% of the dust which means a little bit less of a clean-up.

Any dust remaining on the table I just blow away (to the back of the saw) with a can of air, then I use my shop-vac about once a week to clean that mess up. I tried hooking up a shop vac but couldn't get it to stay where I wanted it to.

Regards...Keith

EZgoing

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:41 pm »
Coffee always tastes best with a little sawdust in it... LOL

Ez

wildbill

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:42:40 am »
I want to thank you all for the feedback.  I do have coffee with my saw dust. And sometimes I do like the sawdust all over me.  But when I exit the shop and I have'nt gotten all the saw dust off me Boy I get in trouble.  Ever hear the saying Happy Wife Happy Life. Again thank you all who gave me the suggestions.

The Wild One

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:48:47 pm »
Wildbill, Seems to me you need to start making things  for you wife to keep her happy! ;)
Dan In Southern California

wildbill

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:33:28 pm »
Hey dgman

wildbill here my wife is my best customer.  I am my worse critic so of many of my creations don't leave my scrap box.  What does make it up stairs goes to her.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:45 pm »
Wildbill. Most of the things I make end up as gifts. I teach scroll saw at the local Woodcraft and have a lot of my projects on display in the store!
Dan In Southern California

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:35:50 pm »
If you wear pants with cuffs, you don't have to worry about tracking sawdust into the house.  Just don't cross your legs!

SMF

Teknoromi