Author Topic: DeWalt 788 question  (Read 4874 times)

Offline MFannin

• View Profile
DeWalt 788 question
« on: October 21, 2018, 10:10:35 am »
Newbie here.  Researching which scroll saw to purchase.  I was leaning towards the DeWalt 788 and looked at one in the store yesterday.  Online research indicates that the needle bearings are not lubricated well and the bearings fail just after the warranty period is over.  There's several youtube videos on this topic.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjgSKrlt7LE&t=4454s    Are there other scroll saws that are made to be lubricated without major effort?  Also looking at the Seyco ST-21 saw - very nice, but now I'm wondering if that too will have bearing issues after the warranty period is over.  Thanks for your advice.  Mark in Colorado.
Mark Fannin
KA0BUD

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: DeWalt 788 question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:34:53 am »
I have been using DeWalt 788 for many years without an issue. And I use it a LOT.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:14 am »
If you do buy the DW788 (or the Delta clone), it actually isn't that hard to lubricate the bearings on the saw and it gives you a much better appreciation of the internal mechanism that makes the blade go up and down. 

If you would like to have a guide to follow on getting at the bearings, and on how to lube them, see this link.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNt2Y0ajDwk  It is the first of 4 videos that step through the process of getting into, lubricating, and getting back out of the saw. 

The vids have been added to with another at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4E1At82lc&feature=youtu.be 

The work does take a few tools and you have to be careful to support the saw when it is opened up.  It is an easy process once you get started.  I did it and learned that it is a good plan to take pictures of each step to help with re-assembly. 

Good luck with whatever saw you select. 
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:59 am »
I have used my D788 A LOT.  Never did any maintenance or repair.  Only problem was the on/off switched gunked up.  Took apart and cleaned, now works without problem.  If I used a foot switch it would eliminate this problem.

I would encourage you to buy a D788.

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 05:36:18 pm »
I completely agree with Jscott. I watched all the videos to get an idea of what is involved. I bought the necessary grease. I already had all the required tools. I took mine apart and found right away a loose bolt on the main connecting rod. That's where my vibration was coming from. I did not find any worn bearings or sleeves so I just ended up greasing everything with the synthetic Valvoline grease. I used a pipe cleaner to apply the grease with and tried to work it well into the needle bearings. I also applied grease to the sliding wedge that is what applies the tension to the blade. It's not a hard job and once you do it, you won't have to worry about it again for a very long time. I bought my type 1 Dewalt used on Craigslist. It had never had any tender loving care prior to what I did. Luckily, I got a great used saw for very little money and now it's even "greater". I love the saw and between it and my Excalibur 21, I should never need another saw. Don't be afraid of owning a Dewalt. Grizzly has them on sale right now with stand and light for $399.99 and free shipping. GO FOR IT!

Ray
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline powrguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:04:10 am »
I completely agree with Jscott. I watched all the videos to get an idea of what is involved. I bought the necessary grease. I already had all the required tools. I took mine apart and found right away a loose bolt on the main connecting rod. That's where my vibration was coming from. I did not find any worn bearings or sleeves so I just ended up greasing everything with the synthetic Valvoline grease. I used a pipe cleaner to apply the grease with and tried to work it well into the needle bearings. I also applied grease to the sliding wedge that is what applies the tension to the blade. It's not a hard job and once you do it, you won't have to worry about it again for a very long time. I bought my type 1 Dewalt used on Craigslist. It had never had any tender loving care prior to what I did.

Ray

Ray:

I know this is an old post, but I'm just new to the Forums.

I saw your post that said you dis-assembled and lubed your DW788.  I bought a DW788, and it doesn't have the serial number/ID label on the motor, but I would guess it's a Type 1.  I got the saw, stand, and light included for $250 off craigslist locally, and it runs and cuts okay, but rattles at higher speeds.  I don't know if it's the adjustment of the tensioning rod, but I did try the suggested rotation and turned it 3 turns CCW, without total side cover disassembly, hoping it would easily stop the rattle, but it did not help.  (Did I turn it the wrong way?)

Anyway, I'm kinda spooked at disassembly, but would try it if it's not too risky to getting it back together.  You said you did a lube, but didn't have any bad bearings?  Where would I get bearings, if I needed them.

I've done quite a bit of woodworking/cabinet-making/etc. as a DIY-er, but scrollsawing is new to me.  Just a greenhorn, her.

thanks
tom

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 10:36:57 am »
I have the Type 1 saw, bought it a four years ago it had sat in storage for many years unused, cleaned the rust off the table and put it to work, The saw is now well experienced. This fall it started to rattle and vibrate, worse at high rpm. after watching videos on maintenance and disassembly, I found a parts schematic of the saw on internet, took it apart and found one sleeve that fits inside a bearing had some bearing chatter marks. I lubed it with a high quality synthetic grease and put it back together. it helped the vibration and noise but didn't cure it so I ordered a new roller sleeve. The sleeve cost $13.00 plus 16 shipping charges. installed it and lubed every bearing point. The saw now runs smooth, almost like new.  I use my saw a lot sometimes over 8 hours in a day. seldom would a day go by that I don't start it up.

Each pivot point has a bearing and sleeve, except the drive bearing at the motor,. This is a factory sealed bearing.    The bearings I would be able to get at any commercial or industrial bearing supply outlet but the sleeves would probably have to come from the factory.

Offline kennyboothe@gmx.com

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:13:51 pm »
I read Steve Goods' glowing review on the Dewalt and a heads-up on a sale price of $399 from Grizzly Tools for the saw/light/table kit but I didn't act fast enough to get it at that price. I did join Grizzly's email program and got a 10% discount from them. When it went on sale for $449, I used my 10% discount and got it for just over $399. Be careful if you go that route though, the 10% discount is supposed to be for only 30 days but I think they let me slide past that date.

Offline dwayne23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 05:54:14 am »
I am looking at the Dewalt and I need to know what is the table kit I know that might be a stupide question but I don't know. I just want to make sure I get what I need. 

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:52 am »
Perhaps someone is referring to the "stand" for the saw.  Otherwise I haven't a clue.  Note Steve Carmichael has a good plan to make your own.

Regards > GLC from Cypress, Texas

Offline Larry_B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:57 pm »
Just did maintenance on my 788 Type 2.  I've had it about three years, this last year I used it hard and it got noisier and noisier.  So watched all the videos, ordered the bearings and sleeves (per videos) and tore into it.  When I got into the machine I found the connecting rod bearing was about all rust.  So ordered that part too.  Put it all back together and it sounds better than when I first bought it.

A number of sleeves were 'dented' fairly bad and others slightly, but replaced them anyway.  One thing I realized after ordering all the parts as outlined in the videos it I wound up with extra sleeves.  After scratching my head I realized the Pegas blade clamps I use have longer sleeves than the ones that come with the DeWalt clamps so have four extra ones.

Also I had a real aggressive cut on the blade.  Tom Brokaw's maintenance 'update video' suggested taking a hacksaw and 'deepening' the blade clamp's groove.  That worked perfect and now the blade is perpendicular front to back to the table through the entire blade stroke.

Offline Larry_B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:42 pm »
I did maintenance on mine too this winter.  After it was disassembled I too found the connecting rod bearing was about a pile of dust.  Got it all fixed up and it runs like a champ.  Sure glad I did it.  I was shy about taking it apart, but in the end it was pretty simple.   It was a tad aggressive on the cutting and also did the Brokaw suggestion (I'm running Pegas clamps).  Took a few more strokes that Tom said but that resolved the aggressive cutting.  Being spring not a lot of jobs or shows so the saw is sitting in the shop ready to go to work.

SMF

Teknoromi