Author Topic: does anyone have any plans for a scroll saw stand?  (Read 9840 times)

patban

does anyone have any plans for a scroll saw stand?
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:56:59 am »
does anyone have any plans to make a simple scrollsaw stand plans so i can make one for my scroll saw.  cuz i just have it sitting on a table top.  but it keeps on moving.  any info will be appreciated

JohnBailey

Re: does anyone have any plans for a scroll saw stand?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:49:08 am »
Haven't really seen many pictures let alone plans. (I've been looking too)
I think most people just bolt them down on a fairly heavy work bench.

But it should be a pretty easy build.

Priority 1 is bulk. The heavier and bulkier it is, the quieter and more vibration free your saw will be.

I'm thinking of making one with 2X3 softwood legs and frame, and a few layers of MDF to make a top, on which the saw will be bolted down. 3 legs will give you the most stable design for an uneven floor, but 4 is easier to make.

nrscroller

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:12:06 am »
HI
I think if you do a search on the scrollworkshop magazine forum there is a plan for a nice stand
Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:08 am »
Here?s another idea regarding scroll saw mounting options:
 http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2010_03_27_archive.html  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

sp_343

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:39 am »
Check out these links...some plans you have to purchase...but well worth the price.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/methods/custom-scroll-saw-stand.html

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/store/Scrollsaw_Stand_Woodworking_Plan.html (I built this one for my Dewalt and it works GREAT!!)

http://www.meiselwoodhobby.com/Products/ViewProduct.aspx?ID=13157&Path=41418

Hope you find one that works...

kardar2

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:46:02 pm »
Hello,
I made my own here is what I did
I used 3/4 plywood and made it big enough for my scroll saw and dermal work station  and a spot for my hand sander  the frame is made out of 2x4 and the base is made out of 3/4 plywood now as far as the height goes you have to figure out what is comfortable to you and your chair. I put a power strip on the side with a extension cord on a hook and I used some wheels that lock  so now I can wheel it on the patio in the summer time and scroll and I can roll it in a trailer to take it to a craft show. I also use the base to store wood.  I have mine all open but now I wish it was all in closed cause of the dust. I use the air compressor to clean up. just reminder set your saw to the edge for leg room.     

ripchief

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:02 am »
I designed the one that Russ pointed out (that's my garage door in the background of the photos)...I can send the plans to anyone that is interested...I couldn't post it here, because the file size exceeds the forum file attachment limitations.

Joesawdust

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:10:01 pm »
Ripchief, I'd be interested in those plans if you don't mind. joesawdust2@gmail.com

Thanx, Greg

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:26:32 pm »
I bought the Dewalt stand with my saw from Grizzley.  Can't beat a stand engineered for the job.

If you didn't, or couldn't afford it at the time check CraigsList.  I found a Dewalt stand for $25.00! I'm sure it could be modified for other saws.

The deacon

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »
Wood magazine has a plan that i have made 2 of.Not hard to make and inexpensive.The deacon

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »
The Scroll Saw Table I created was built almost entirely from 3/4? A-C plywood.  It was built to mimic a workbench and auxiliary table which was the subject of an article in American Woodworker, Oct/Nov. 2009.  The article: ? Designs for the Hyper Organized Shop was authored by Jack Holmen.

My shop is housed in my garage so the need of portability of all tools is important so that cars can be housed in the shop space when no building activity is on going.  All benches and power tool supports are on casters to they can easily be rearranged to fit any purpose.  The scroll saw table is no exception.

The criteria for the saw table included portability, storage of saw tools and blades, adjustment of saw angle, stability of the saw and comfort of the work station.  I think I accomplished those items.

Photo 1

This first photo shows the scroll saw arranged with the other benches as supporting players in the work station.  The scroll saw platform has out rigger supports for the casters, a bin for waste bags, a drawer for saw blades and tools used with the scroll saw and finally wings to set things on such as  the small parts I am cutting and a coffee cup.

Photo 2

A close-up of the table shows the drawer partially open, the wings for small parts being worked on and the table supporting the saw in an inclined position.  The inclined table is on hinges just above the drawer.  The wings are on piano hinges so they may be dropped down when not in use.

Photo 3
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_s_7g9yoq0J4/S9TUeqM87cI/AAAAAAAAACA/K8Artd_AdPI/s128/DSCN4431.jpg

Photo 3 shows the ?elevator? piece to provide a variety of inclines to the saw support.  Also shown is the left wing and the open drawer.

Photo 4

The view from the rear shows a slim configuration with the two wings.  In the background the front out -rigger which supports the casters can be seen.  These out-riggers enhance stability of the platform.

This is a very stable platform and has worked well for me.  Its total cost was about $35.00 for the plywood, hinges and other hardware.  It does not creep across the floor on the casters even though the garage floor has a slight slope to it.  The finish is clear poly-urethane, two coats.   I made it in a week-end and have been using it for about 6 months.
best regards,

Bud Prine

patban

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:16:34 am »
plans bud, submit some plans.  I would love to make this.  It has a cool drawer, lil table flats for all the glue-wing and what not.  Like this table alot!!!!!

SMF

Teknoromi