Author Topic: Pipe cleaners for finishing/painting  (Read 2219 times)

Papafrankc

Pipe cleaners for finishing/painting
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »
After some research I see this idea was mentioned by Mike on the blog in 2011. 

However I just thought of it today so I  thought it might be worth mentioning again.  I used to use small brushes to paint small fretwork holes and slots.  It was always a mess and a real time-consuming pain.  So today I tried a pipe cleaner on one of my projects.  And boy do they work GREAT.  They get right into very small slots and holes.  Places where you can't get a small brush.

I found some "pipe cleaners" at Joann's in California ( they call them "stems").  But I'm sure you can find them in most craft stores.  Probably even a Pipe and Tobacco store.  At the craft store I purchased a pack of 25 for only  $0.99.

I'll never go back to brushes for painting or staining intricate fretwork.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
Re: Pipe cleaners for finishing/painting
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:38:55 am »
Great idea!  It drives me crazy trying to get into those tiny spaces.  Thanks for the tip.
ChelCass

Becky

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:21:56 am »
I don't usually paint or stain my projects but this is a great tip for those exceptions.   :)

tdub4ever

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:49:39 am »
Never thought about pipe cleaners, I usually get these microbrushes. They work very well and they come in different sizes. You can get them in the model builders section at the hobby store.

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:27:31 pm »
I used to use a small brush to stain my projects.  It was slow and frustrating.  Now I dunk the piece in the stain can and shake off the excess.  I then blot it with a rag and give it a few shots of air from my air compressor.  Done in no time flat!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 01:46:42 pm »
Another advantage to the pipe cleaners...

Take your wire cutters, cut them in half and have twice as many!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »
I used to use a small brush to stain my projects.  It was slow and frustrating.  Now I dunk the piece in the stain can and shake off the excess.  I then blot it with a rag and give it a few shots of air from my air compressor.  Done in no time flat!

This is thew same way I do it.  Real even all over and if you let it drip for a couple minutes in you drip pan makes for a very smooth surface.

SMF

Teknoromi