Author Topic: For the computer "Geeks"  (Read 874 times)

marmoh

For the computer "Geeks"
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:08:29 am »
My sister lives approx 250 feet away from my house.  I have a Linksys router and my hubbie and her pull the signal with Belkin USB adapters.  I also have a Linksys G range expander thinking my sister would get better signal.  She  has good periods when she gets a good signal and then times where the signal is too low to get on the internet.  She has had to re-boot her computer a few times due to picking up a virus.
I guess what I am asking is would having her computer cleaned up solve the problem or do I need to find a different way to get the signal to her.  She has a PC not a laptop.
If I need different equipment what would be recommended ???

SonOfMartin

Re: For the computer "Geeks"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:46:57 am »
I've never had the best of luck with USB wireless adapters. Line of sight (very short distance) they work ok, but not my first choice.

I'd suggest you buy Cisco / Linksys wireless: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WUSB54G-Wireless-G-USB-Adapter/dp/B00009X6PH/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298652335&sr=1-13

THis is a USB port adapter but will allow you to put it where it has a clear shot at getting a signal and not an adapter behind the computer.

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »
My wife and myself we use the Cisco/lynksys it works oh so much better then the old Lynksys that we did have as well this new one shows when we have WIFI so we know if we have a bad signal or not...

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:23:06 am »
Hey Marion!

That's a simple thing to do:

You need to expand your WLAN. This can be done in 2 ways:
- First you can set up a repeater. This one receives the signal from your router and transmits it again. Easy to install, but it slows down the traffic for the expanded area.
- Second is to set up a directed transmission to your sisters house. This can be done by special antennas.

Check out the usual manufactures and search for "RangeBooster" and "Repeater".

Check these: Dlink products They have pretty cool products, I use them most times I get to set up some network.

regards
Torsten

SMF

Teknoromi