Author Topic: Portrait Software  (Read 8914 times)

ShadowB6

Portrait Software
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:05 am »
After a lot of indecisiveness, and plain just not being able to make up my mind, I thought I'd ask you guys the experts for your advice. I've been wanting to do portraits for quite a while now and tried using GIMP but as I'm not a software Techy, I found it to be overwhelming. The few samples I tried did not come out very well, and were a far far cry from what I see the pattern makers do here on the forum. I've seen the one page ads for Carving Technologies "Coyote Stencil Shop 3" software and was wondering if anyone else here has tried it? Though the price is steep at $99.95, if it works well enough I could find it a worthwhile investment. If anyone here, owns this software, your comments would be greatly appreciated. One of the important questions I have is can a non computer savvy person use it with some form of success?

countryscroller

Re: Portrait Software
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:04:20 pm »
I just got Coyote Stencil Shop 3 for Christmas and I am very pleased with it. The process of turning the picture into an intial pattern in quite easy. The fine tuning is what takes practice. There is a video Steve made on one of the versions of Coyote Stencil Shop and he explains the process of making a simple portrait. Hope that helps your decision on what to do.

ChuckD

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
Shadow, I am a cutter.  I have found that I have not the talent for designing or even computer software use.  There are millions of patterns out there and if I were to learn pattern making there would be two million.  So I cut what I see and if I need a pattern I ask and recieve.  That way I do what I like best, I cut!!!! :):):)  Good Luck

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:58:23 pm »
Shadow, I am a cutter.  I have found that I have not the talent for designing or even computer software use.  There are millions of patterns out there and if I were to learn pattern making there would be two million.  So I cut what I see and if I need a pattern I ask and recieve.  That way I do what I like best, I cut!!!! :):):)  Good Luck
I'm with chuck on this one! With Mahendra, DonR, Grampa, Steve, Sheila, joleet, Sue, Dianna and all the other great pattern makers out there, why bother?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:01:20 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 11:55:30 pm »
Shadow, I am a cutter.  I have found that I have not the talent for designing or even computer software use.  There are millions of patterns out there and if I were to learn pattern making there would be two million.  So I cut what I see and if I need a pattern I ask and recieve.  That way I do what I like best, I cut!!!! :):):)  Good Luck
I'm with chuck on this one! With Mahendra, DonR, Grampa, Steve, Sheila, joleet, Sue, Dianna and all the other great pattern makers out there, why bother?

Dgman

Dgman
Thank your for your kind words! To be honest scrolling and and now attempting patterns from the past couple of months ,all this I have learnt( still learning) in a years time. Got a big help from Don and encouragement from all the senior  members -thank you once again to all of you!

Shadow B6
Actually it is not difficult if you have the time on your hands and keep on practicing in addition to that there are many free tutorials on the net ,and the seniors are always there to help you out with any questions that you have.
I use GIMP and Inkscape it is free and a fantastic software to make patterns ,just have to get used to the tools and like Don told me once, practice ,practice and some more practice :)
I do word art in Corel draw, a big thank you to Steve and his video tutorial ,I know a lot of things ,it is matter of learning the functions and using it, there will be disappointments but don't give up :)

mahendra
mahendra

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 06:48:54 am »
I make most of my patterns. I enjoy seeing the finished project from my own design. I use CorelDraw X5 and Adobe Photo Shop in conjunction with my drawing tablet.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

ShadowB6

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »
Gentlemen, you all make very valid points on which way I should go on this portrait software dilemma i'm having. Countryscroller says the Coyote software is quite easy to learn. That's a bonus, but the $100 price tag is a minus. Countryscroller, how many patterns have you tried with Coyote and are they what you've expected?

Chuck says he's a cutter and boy do I know the feeling. I agree with you Chuck. Dgman says to let the pattern makers do it and then Chuck agreed. I'm not sure that's the way I want to go because I just don't think I'd feel right to keep on asking someone else to do up patterns for me. And then there's always the sense of accomplishment that I completed the project from start to finish. But I also like the concept put forth by Chuck & Dgman.

Mahendra, I studied what you said and I've seen your pattern making skills at work, and please allow me to say, you're great at it. Not too sure that I have the devoted time allowance to do this, but from the work I've seen of yours, I believe that is where I would like to be when I retire in a couple more years. If I may ask, how long have you been at making patterns?

Thank you guys for all your words of wisdom. Though I'm not sure which way I'll go on this, you have given me a lot to think about. You guys are what makes this forum priceless.

Mike

countryscroller

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:07 pm »
I have made only a couple of patterns so far. I haven't tried other programs to compare how they come out. I would go with some of the veteran's on here when it comes to which program is best for the price, or to just have the pattern makers make your patterns for you. All I know is I am pleased with the setup of Coyote Stencil Shop 3 and with a couple clicks you get it into a pattern form. The refining part, getting all the detail is the part where you have to work with it to make it look right. To me since the program is designed to make stencil patterns, it is the easiest to work with. I'm not saying other programs are harder, just that I haven't had the experience to work with them. As far as the price, I guess you get what you pay for. I received it for Christmas so I didn't buy it, would I if I hadn't received it? Yes I would. I think after you used it for awhile and get used to it, it pays for itself. I also take orders from people, so having my own software to work with makes the work easier than relying on pattern makers on here. Don't get me wrong, these guys on here are phenomenal when it comes to turning a picture into a pattern. I guess what you are looking for in a program or what you use it for sways what your decision is to do. Hope this helps on my end for you. Have a nice day!

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »
I am not saying not to ever make a pattern.  BTW I have made a few.  But the time I took to make those patterns I could have cut out ten of some ones elses patterns.  And as far as asking for help with a pattern,  I am sure the patterns makers are very happy when we show their patterns when we cut.  It is entirely your choise as it is any ones.  Have phun...

Old Crow

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »
Shadow, Over the past couple of years or so I have made hundreds of free patterns for folks on this forum and three others. I am retired and my hobbies are wood carving and scrolling. Scrolling came as an off shoot from my woodcarving obsession.
I like to stay busy and active so I spend a lot of time with these hobbies and have a couple of websites where I display and sell some of my work
www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com
www.oldcrowwoodcrafts.webs.com
They don't make a lot of money but they help pay for supplies etc.
Having said all of that, most of my free time is  spent making patterns both the free ones and the patterns that I sell. I really enjoy making patterns.

I began making patterns after seeing some of the patterns that were posted on the forums, by downloading both Gimp and Inkscape and following this tutorial.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw-design-tutorials/17249.htm

My advice to you is to do the same if you really want to make your own patterns. I initially spent a couple of hours following the tutorial and just playing around with the software. If you print out the tutorial, it is very easy and rewarding to follow. You will find that the tutorial is not quite correct in a couple of places because of changes to the software but it is pretty intuitive and you will get the hang of it.
After you become familiar with the software and the method it is just a matter of practice as often as you can. I made my practice by making patterns from requests in the forums. After a short while, I figured they were good enough to post and I began posting in response to requests.

When you feel that you have it mastered, practice some more.

After about a year or so of pattern making, I purchased a Wacom Bamboo Tablet which is a little faster, easier and more accurate than using the mouse.

By the way, I tried Coyote on two occasions and didn't like it at all. As far as I am concerned, all you need are the two free downloads, Gimp and Inkscape.

Sorry for rambling but I hope it has helped you.
Don R
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:47:16 pm by Old Crow »

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 06:16:18 am »
Gentlemen, you all make very valid points on which way I should go on this portrait software dilemma i'm having. Countryscroller says the Coyote software is quite easy to learn. That's a bonus, but the $100 price tag is a minus. Countryscroller, how many patterns have you tried with Coyote and are they what you've expected?

Chuck says he's a cutter and boy do I know the feeling. I agree with you Chuck. Dgman says to let the pattern makers do it and then Chuck agreed. I'm not sure that's the way I want to go because I just don't think I'd feel right to keep on asking someone else to do up patterns for me. And then there's always the sense of accomplishment that I completed the project from start to finish. But I also like the concept put forth by Chuck & Dgman.

Mahendra, I studied what you said and I've seen your pattern making skills at work, and please allow me to say, you're great at it. Not too sure that I have the devoted time allowance to do this, but from the work I've seen of yours, I believe that is where I would like to be when I retire in a couple more years. If I may ask, how long have you been at making patterns?

Thank you guys for all your words of wisdom. Though I'm not sure which way I'll go on this, you have given me a lot to think about. You guys are what makes this forum priceless.

Mike

Mike
The mail from Don is very detailed and if you are serious ,I would request you to follow the advice, I did  :) and when a pattern is appreciated,I know I am going in the right direction. Thank you once again for your kind words.

I started attempting since july of this year ,I messed up many times and  was shown the correct way of improving it  by Don and like they say there is always room for improvement so every pattern from then onwards did improve as I learnt the different tools . I forgot to mention earlier,I also have a wacom bamboo tablet still not very familiar with it but I am learning! I love making patterns  it is fun!

GIMP and Inkscape are really great softwares not because it is free but in my opinion for making a pattern ,this is one of the best!
Mahendra
mahendra

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 07:57:54 am »
that seems like a very good  tutorial.think i'm going to give that a try and see what happens.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 09:16:31 am »
which model of the wacom bamboo tablet do you use? there seem to be 2 or 3 on the market varying from ?17.99 to ?89.99
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Old Crow

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 09:45:50 am »
Keefie, Mine is the "Capture" with the wireless accessory kit.
Don R

ShadowB6

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:14:16 am »
Again, some very great advice. Well I downloaded GIMP last night, watched some tutorials on You Tube and then spent the next 3 hours attempting a picture of my Granddaughter. As Mahendra says, "practice, practice and when you think you've got it, practice some more. I really enjoyed doing this for the first time, and hope to get much better at it. Sure took me quite a long time to do it, and I've included pictures of the before and after. I don't like how her nose came out, but an artist I am not. This effort for me is a big step though in the right direction.

Thanks again guys for all your great advice. Now it's off to see what a "wacom bamboo tablet" is. Never heard of it and don't know what it does, but I'll find out.

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi