Author Topic: Remembering what blade is mounted  (Read 4319 times)

ToverT

Remembering what blade is mounted
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:41 am »
If your like me, your memory is about this long - !  I often can't remember if I have a #1, #3 or #5 blade mounted.

So, I've gotten into the habit of putting a pencil in the tube that I get my blade from.  It's not a big deal, but it sure helped me put the blade back into the right holder,

Here's a pic.

Tommy T

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Remembering what blade is mounted
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:45:09 am »
Thats a good idea, I have a hard time keeping up with what blade I used to keep it from being mixed up with new ones. I keep mine laying next to me in order from small to large. I do like that holder you made thats a good deal to have.

ToverT

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:14:14 pm »
Dirtrider,

The holder is made from scrap landscape sprinkler pipe.  Holes drilled in scrap wood all the way through, then a 1/8" backer glued to it...spray painted white = Blade Holder....easy peasy!

Tommy T

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »
Good idea. I have mine stored in a block of 2x4 in copper tubes. In front of each tube I have holes drilled. So I put the used blade in the hole and not back into the copper tubes that way all the blades in the tubes I know are fresh. When the blade in the hole gets too dull, just throw it out and go on.

ToverT

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »
Dustin,

Thats a gread idea...I'll try that!

Tommy T

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
I never reuse an old blade. Blades are cheap, and it's not worth ruining a cut just to save a few cents!
Dan In Southern California

ToverT

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »
Dan,

I respectfully disagree.  I might finish a project having put in a fresh blade one or two cuts ago.  That blade has 90% of it's life left or more.  I'm reusing it.

But my problem is, the next day I might (make that WILL) forget what blade is mounted.

I'm so darn cheap, my wifes Birthday is April 27th so I buy her a salt shaker.  Our wedding anniversary is April 28th and I buy the matching pepper shaker.

Tommy T

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 06:08:06 pm »
Tommy -   Does that mean two separate trips to the dollar store?
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 07:14:07 pm »
Tommy,

But my problem is, the next day I might (make that WILL) forget what blade is mounted.

What you can do is go to the dollar store and buy a package of cheap magnets.  Hot glue one to each of the tubes. 

This will hold one or two blades as long as you don't "upset the apple cart".  If you want better, buy a package of rare earth magnets from Northern Tools and do the same.

Karl

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 11:08:49 pm »
I store my blades in tubes with removable lids. Whatever blade I'm using doesn't get its lid put back on. It helps me most when I come back a day or two later.

ShadowB6

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 09:21:19 am »
I have a 21" Excalibur saw and insert tubes into the holes in the side of the saw. There's 5 or 6 holes on each side and that's where my used blades get stored. One side is used for the scroll reverse blades while the other side is used for the ultra reverse blades. My new blades are stored on the wall about 4 feet away with enough slots for about 35 different types and sizes of blades and about 10 different sizes of drill bits. All are stored in clear plastic tubes.

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:18:55 pm »
your set up is suprisingly similar to mine.  the main difference is mine is pine and the tubes are colored plastic.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45:40 pm »
great idea Tommy, I have to make me a blade stand, and doing this is a great reminder.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 09:46:43 pm »
Yeah, I pretty much clean and reuse my paper plates, I've never thrown away a blade that wasn't broken.  I'll put in a new blade to cut oak, say, but then set it aside to use on something softer...then I have the problem you mention ...is that a 3 or 5???  I like your idea tho

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Scroll Down

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 11:38:41 am »
For remembering which blade is mounted I use a pair of dice and set it, or them if number is higher than 5, to the number of blade on the saw. My neighbor uses some old dominoes'.

Need to build a blade holder as my collection grows...some great ideas here.

SMF

Teknoromi