Author Topic: occasional use / beginner table saw recommendations please  (Read 1171 times)

Candi_D

occasional use / beginner table saw recommendations please
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:06:45 pm »
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping to put a table saw on my birthday/anniversary wish list this year. I'm not looking to do any massive building but I would like to eventually make many of the plans similar to those on Ana White's site (book cases, shelves, beds for my girls) I know I could have HD or Lowes cut down wood but so far in my experience their cuts aren't great and I'd rather be able to have something at home to use. My Dad has one of the 10" skil from Lowes and has been happy enough with it for light use and recommended one (he's on the other side of the country, which is why I can't just borrow his <wink> ) I was also looking at the Porter Cable for $300 that Lowes has and the Dewalt DW745 for about $350. I don't want to go any higher then that. Just curious if anyone here had experience with these lower end table saws and which you would recommend. I love my Dewalt scroll saw and sander but the PC seemed pretty decent (and came on a stand/table vs the Dewalt which doesn't) when I looked at it in Lowes, of course the Skil at $200 is the best price.

Thanks in advance for helping me continue to build my little basement workshop!

Candi

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: occasional use / beginner table saw recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:32:53 pm »
Candi...a few months ago I bought the Bosch GTS1031 jobsite saw and I have been very happy with it.
Currently it is at $385 on Amazon but I think you may be able to find a better price.
Try CPO.com and see if you can find one on their "refurbished" site.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Candi_D

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:05:11 pm »
Thanks I'll look into that one too, it is a bit more then I wanted to spend but I have heard it recommended quite a few times!

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »
Another option for you is the Dewalt DW745 jobsite saw.  Picked mine up off craigslist for about half the price of new, and have been very happy with it. 

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:43:22 pm »
I finally got rid of my old crapsman  and I went with the Porter Cable.  I did a tune up on it before ever cutting anything and have been very pleased with it. Last year I did something stupid and a piece of 3/4 inch oak kicked back. One piece hit me ( nice bruise for a week) and another piece hit the rip fence and bent it BAD. I screwed a couple of squared boards to it and it was almost ok. I put up with it for a couple of month. The part on line was in the neighborhood of 65-70 bucks.  I finally called PC direct and got a brand new rip fence for $23 Including shipping!  They treated me good.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

king310

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »
The little saw that your dad has is fine for small project. They will not cut anything larger than 11 inches wide with the fence. I bought a Dewalt 744. It will extend out to cut wider work. The craftsman contractor saw is great as well which was my first choice but I wanted something that took up less space.

As for Porter Cable.........Well if you read my recent post I will not buying that brand anymore.  

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:48 pm »
Keep an eye out on Craigslist.  You can often get a lot of tool for the money used.  I only paid $350 for a full size unisaw with a Beismeyer fence system and 3 horse motor.  It helps if you know someone experienced with saws who would be willing to go with you to make sure you are getting a tool thata is in good shape, but you can usually tell pretty easily.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi