Author Topic: Outdoor shed/shop  (Read 3725 times)

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
Outdoor shed/shop
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:28:36 pm »
Has anyone used an outdoor shed as a shop? Of course I would run two electrical circuits any use electric heat. Any issues with equipment in freezing winters then heating up? My wife doesn't like the dust and clutter in the garage. She may have an an alternate plan if I like it out there...

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: Outdoor shed/shop
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:13:43 am »
I use a portable building that is 12x20.  It is set next to the house and tied into the house electric.  I have an old refrigerator case that I use for paint, etc.  I use electric heaters and have a small 110 ac that I will mount this year.

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:08:26 am »
I actually moved from a shed into our garage. I framed in a room in the back of the garage so the shop is separate from the rest of the garage and nobody can mess with it. The shed for me just had too many problems. It was drafty and didn't stay cool or warm very easy, it was too small 10'x 10', and when it rained hard or snowed hard, it snowed or rained into the shop. Now this shed was primarily for storage before I was even interested in woodworking, so it wasn't made to be a comfortable place, but it already had electric ran into it so that was nice. I am very happy where I am now in my shop. I use a Big Buddy propane heater to heat the shop. It gets nice and cozy in there, except I struggled this past winter because it was just ridiculously cold out.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 01:24:42 pm »
I put up a 12'x16' shed for woodwork. It has a gambrel roof and open trusses so there is a lot of storage up in the trusses. I brought in a 30 amp 240 volt circuit and put a small breaker panel in the shed. I have a 240v 20amp box heater to keep the chill off in the winter. I may add a fan up in the truss area this summer for ventilation. It has a roll-up door on one end so it's not been uncomfortable so far.

Electric - if it's a way from the house to the shed, 240 VAC will help minimize voltage sag as big tool start up. Put outlets in all corners.

Lighting - you can't get too much. I have some surplus fluorescent lights plus 3 halogen track lights pointing at the table saw. Put a switch at the entry so you don't need to hunt for a pull string in the dark.

Dust collection - if you plan one, it should be built outside the shed so leakage from the bag doesn't wind up in your breathing space.

Storage - again, no such thing as too much. Shelves work, cabinets look neater. Plan on a place to keep wood until you need it. I have wood stored in the loft space and reach it with a folding ladder.

Enjoy your shed.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline RangerJay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 03:01:26 pm »
My garage/shed/workshop is well insulated which is great for winter heating and but summer humidity can be high - high enough that if I'm not in the shed for a few days then the tools can start showing signs of rust.  Last couple of years I put in a portable dehumidifier which makes a heck of a difference - both for the tools and my own comfort.

Jay

Bill Ellis

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:26:19 am »
From what I read you lot have some very nice work shops mine consists of one room 18 foot by 9 foot (all my large tools are in what space I can have when I share with the chest freezer and there is a bone of contention as I have a bad habit of leaving tools and work on top. The other I have one of two 9 foot by 9 foot rooms where I do most of my crafting ( I must admit that it always at some stage gets into the house) after 43 years together she (the wife) puts up with what I do. The other 9X9 room is the wife's (loom).

Bill Ellis

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:59:53 pm »
The trick to using a storage shed as a shop is insulation the the more the better. My last job bought a shed and had it delivered like you see on corner lots all over, we bought some insulation and crammed it in every crook and crevice, used just some osb sheating on the inside, had it wired, framed in for a window ac/heat unit. And over all once it got the temp where it needed it stayed there, the unit would freeze you out if you let it. I think the size was a 10x8 but it did good for my office space for what I did. We even inslated the roof as well. I even went  inside with the doors closed and caulked any light I seen to seal it up further before insulation was put in.

Right now I use my garage its drafty as can be, the doors don't seal at all in fact the doors are just two wooden doors and there is major gaps plus they are falling apart. I don't have any issues out of running my tools when its cold, most times when I turn them first on from being so cold I let them run to warm up to get full power then do my work.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 09:20:43 am »
I have a small separate shop next to my house and a large separate 31'x21' x 12' tall garage and inside it is a 10'x12' metal shed that I use as a finishing room.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 09:57:04 am »
I have a 10 x 20 portable building with electricity from the power pole and has a meter and breaker panel. I use a window 110 ac unit and two small electric heaters. I do not run the heaters when I am not in the shop, but, it is insulated pretty good. I made a mistake and left my adhesives and sprays one night this past winter and they all went bad, so, now I bring them to the house during the freezing periods.

Tony,aka,Toneman

SMF

Teknoromi