Author Topic: LAZER SNOW FLAKES  (Read 3081 times)

Offline pieter

• View Profile
LAZER SNOW FLAKES
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:37 pm »
Boy how does one compete with $1.99 for a 2-3 inch (16th" thick) snow flake at a highend supermaket?  They also sell 4-5" for $3.  I like making snow flakes for family and friends, but when I saw them, I went geez, what's the use.  I do not sell any of my stuff, but it got me thinking about the scrollers that do.

Pieter

cherie

Re: LAZER SNOW FLAKES
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:01:27 pm »
I think it all depends on what the buyer is looking for.  I deal mainly with ornaments myself and I know what your talking about.  But when I make a sale, I make a sale.  LOL

Becky

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:21:17 pm »
I imagin that's been THE question since the industrial age.  Almost anything that used to have to be made by hand can be made by machine - faster, more "perfect" and for less money.

But the industrial age began over 200 years ago and people are still making money with their hand crafted products.  It's a niche market but there are still people out there who appreciate the artistry of hand crafted products.

I have no doubt that your hand made snowflakes are worth WAY more than $1.99 to your friends because they know you took the time and effort to make a unique thing.  And I think that general feeling is why there's still a market for handcrafted items.

Offline tazman4647

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:17:27 am »
they should not be at a craft show since they are not hand crafted

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:28 am »
My family and friends can't wait to see what I make for them every year.  I hate to shop and find it much easier to make something unique to each person on my list.  It is very gratifying to see the things I have given over the years on display.  I was at my sisters house a few months ago and a cousin was explaining to his girlfriend what I do,  he took her on a tour of my sister's house and my sister showed her many pieces that she has been given over the years.  The lady actually ordered a couple of things.  It doesn't matter that you can buy a similar product for less,  my gift comes from the heart and that is what your family and friends love.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:58 am »
I agree totally Julie. I have made many pieces for family and friends. I have sold many pieces also. I spent many years inthe cabinet business and dealing with competition. You just have to believe in your work. People do appriciate hand made work. I became disbaled many years ago to Muscular Dystrophy. It has me working from a wheelchair. I am slow but I am persistant. Even my old partner from the cabinet business called me last week and wanted one of my pieces. He liked the piece, but wanted it just because I made it. I never felt so good.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:08:02 am »
I admire your determination.  I just know when I choose something personal for someone special, they know the love and thought that went into it.  You can't buy that.  I don't have any pieces around my own house, they all seem to be given away or sold.  I have a hard time selling some pieces, just because I know what went into them and if I give them to someone I know or love, I still get to see it.

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:18:15 am »
Here in Germany it is also. Big Supermarket have also lazer cut ornaments. It is difficult to sell something. But isn't it fine to now that we small group save the old Handwork? Every thing what i made is made from me, it's an unicate. It's my indjudication what piece of wood i take. I have a big smile in my face when i give some away, and see the eyes from the person.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:47:30 am »
you can't compete in pricing with the lasercut pieces.
But when you make gifts for friends and family it's not the price but the time and thoughts that Will make the value.
My experience is that people appreciate the fact that I spend a couple of hours to make something especially for them.
You can't express that in money!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Terry Jackson

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 11:22:02 pm »
If you stack-cut a pattern you can go between 1/2" and 3/4".

If it takes an hour to cut the blanks, make the stack, apply the pattern, cut it, and remove the pattern remnants, plus another  hour to finish the pieces, what is the labor rate?  If it is 1/8" and you cut 6 at a time in the 4" to 5"  size you have $9/hr, double that in the 1/16" size if you sell for the $3 you quoted. 

I cut a state ornament I designed, 6 at a time, 1/8" BB.  Alaska, with a bear or eagle or moose outline done with a spiral and the current year.  They get snapped up because of the date and that they are unique.  I get $10 each.

My point is you likely can't compete at $2 and $3 for the lazer cut design, but can do quite well with your own creation that is unique.  So what are the defining features and attributes of your area? 

I don't mean to be off-putting, just mean to share an alternate solution.

Terry

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 09:31:25 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I agree with the sentiments expressed in the many responses to my post; it is my work from the heart and is personal!  I have never been in the business to sell my work, it is a retirement hobby I enjoy immensly and I get my thrill in the response from the people who I give it to.

I am pleased to see so many of you agree!!

Pieter

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:40:35 am »
I just got back from Dallas where I had met a friend for lunch.  I carried in a basket of stuff that I had been working on to show him.  He is learning to scroll and is intimidated by the small cuts.  As we spread the things out on the table to talk about them, a couple came over and ordered $120.00 of stuff!  A bowl, a cross, some ornaments - just a random assortment of things.  It was very cool.

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 09:26:10 pm »
Julief, ah always nice to get a possitive response to ones craft; money ofcourse is not bad either.

Pieter

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 11:23:34 pm »
I like when someone tells me that my items seem to be cut by a laser.I tell them to look closer and they could always find some small flaw.They seem to be more impressed then.Dave

JJammo1

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 02:58:04 am »
I agree with Tazman, they are not handcrafted and shouldnt be allowed at craft shows.  I wouldnt take a lazer if it was given to me.  Also at the price they cost, it will take a long time to pay for it. haha. I am often accused of my crafts being lazer cut.  I always quickly correct them and they are quite surprised.  Nothing like the real thing!

SMF

Teknoromi