Author Topic: Baltic Birch Plywood  (Read 3111 times)

Offline pieter

• View Profile
Baltic Birch Plywood
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:51:16 am »
I am looking for recommendations of where to buy (online) "good 2 sided" 1/16" Baltic Birch.  I have purchased BB from Sloan's and have been satisfied, but they no longer sell BB in that size, only Finish Birch (no explanation if it is good 1 or 2 sides) aircraft grade.  Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Pieter

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Baltic Birch Plywood
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:01:23 pm »
Here's a price list from Woodwerx:
http://www.woodwerks.com/LumberRetailPriceList.pdf
I don't see 1/16" listed there, but you might call them to ask. Their number & web site are at the bottom of the 2nd page.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
Check out Michael's, they are also on line.  They sell a lot of craft boards and paints.

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:27:58 pm »
Check out Michael's, they are also on line.  They sell a lot of craft boards and paints.
I have yet to find ANY BB listed on a Michaels website.  Nor do they sell anything online that I can see.  They dont even post prices so that you see what you are getting before you have to drive to a store.   

IMHO they have the most bass ackward web presence that I have seen in years.
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:02:53 pm »
most of the big craft stores have terrible websites. Michaels, hobby lobby, and joann all have no products online. (JoAnn is just starting to put a few things on, the last I checked)

All of the craft stores do have good BB ply, but you can't ask any one for it. They will give you stupid looks and wander around.
Some times it is with model making stuff, other times it is with the "woodworking" stuff. You have to ignore all of the laser cut crap for $0.99, but the michaels and joann in my area both stock a US made bb ply.

On a side note. I did some research going to the craft stores, Rockler and a lumber yard for BB ply and the prices at each. I can't remember the exact prices, It is probably on the forum someplace. The results were if you can buy a 5x5 sheet at the lumber yard that is the cheapest way to go (but the most "hassle" trying to transport and cut it) The craft stores sold a 1'x2' piece for less then Rockler sold a slightly larger piece. The 1'x2' piece is nice for me, I can get 2 portraits and a few ornaments for $3-4. The quality is as good or better then what I get at my lumberyard.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:35:30 am »
 Michaels does have some nice BB, I buy 1/8 12x24 for around $4.99, some times I use a coupon for like 40% off, in the local paper. So far I haven't had any problems. They also carry other sizes. I believe they get there wood from mid west lumber.  edward

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:28:05 am »
Over here Michael's has a much better stock of BB than Hobby Lobby and both are of good quality.  Michael's web site has no prices and Hobby Lobby's is not a whole lot better. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

tdub4ever

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 07:35:36 pm »
I usually buy 1/8" BB ply from Woodcrafters. I get a 24" x 30" for $8. Haven't priced any other sizes tho'.

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:11 am »
My local lumber yard sells BB ply and they can order any thickness I need.  The 5'x5' sheets of 1/4" BB is $25 which makes it $1/sq. ft.  Cheaper than my other option which is Woodcraft.  That's also cheaper than the craft stores.  They can get 3/8" and 1/2" which are a little more (up to about $29-$30 dollars) and they can also get 1/8".

They keep some in stock for drawer sides and bottoms.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 08:57:27 pm »
I have yet to find ANY BB listed on a Michaels website.  Nor do they sell anything online that I can see.  They dont even post prices so that you see what you are getting before you have to drive to a store.   

IMHO they have the most bass ackward web presence that I have seen in years.

Micheals has it its will be by the model stuff, its runs about 8 bucks for think its 1 foot by 2 foot piece. Hobby lobby has it but its about a dollar more for it, if you go into the craft stores tell them you ware wanting the craft wood, not the balsam wood used for model planes.

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:34:53 pm »
Wow, thank you for the many responses; will have to check the mentioned stores online and locally.  Funny thing is Michael's sells 1/32", 1/64", and 1/8" on up, but no 1/16". 

Pieter

SMF

Teknoromi