Author Topic: EXCALIBUR SAWS  (Read 2713 times)

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
EXCALIBUR SAWS
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:09:39 pm »
I have been using various saws, starting with the cheapies and working upwards as we do. I was hoping this year to get an EX-21 ( the only decent machine available in the UK)
However I have just read a thread on another forum that suggests the UK version of the EX range is in fact poor quality.
Does anyone know if they actually farm out the build for overseas markets or is this just a myth???
Dave

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: EXCALIBUR SAWS
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »
Is not Hegner available to you?  It is made in Germany.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline stu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »
last I heard the ex just like the 788 is farmed out over seas
stu

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41:38 am »
Dave

I would go to the General International web site and contact them directly to ask the question:

http://www.general.ca/contact.html

There UK distributor likely could also answer the question:

http://www.general.ca/distributors/dist_uk.html

Please share whatever you find out if you followup.

I have an EX21.  It is my understanding there are basically two companies or divisions.  General and then also General International.  Both are Canadian but if it is General International (which the EX is) it means it was outsourced overseas.  If that is correct, it would be interesting to know if all overseas outsourcing is to the same place.  For instance, does the same place manufacture and assemble a UK EX you get through Axminster as one I get from a US distributor.  My guess is they all come from the same place but it would be interesting to know.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:47 am »
thanks gutys

Stu yes the hegner is available in the UK but for the same size machine it is almost twice the price of the EX21 and there is no upper arm lift.
Doug I will contact them and ask the question, I do understand that if  they are made (outsourced) some where in Europe, then there would not be any import/export duties to pay, when they are sent on to another country within Europe or the EU. It is the issue of build quality that bothers me, and doubt that they will admit to any claims of poor quality. Will report back on what they say
Dave

rob roy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:41:00 pm »
Hi Dave, don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the EX in UK is Chinese built. Good luck in getting something you like Dave.
Rob Roy.

Offline phantom scroller

• I'm Over the pond or In a pond. Hartpury in UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:57:12 pm »
Well Dave, I have the UK EX-21 from Axminster in Devon I can tell you the built quality is EXCELLENT the proof is in the eating and I've been eating this one for over a year now and haven't regretted a penny spent on it.
As for who makes them I DON'T CARE I love it.

Roly.

SMF

Teknoromi