Author Topic: My first project!  (Read 2950 times)

Malistar22

My first project!
« on: December 30, 2013, 02:27:42 pm »
This is the end result of my first attempt at scrolling. It took about 4 hours total and maybe 5-6 blades. (It's taking some time to learn not to bend the crap out of the blades as I thread the holes. I think that more than anything snapped them). My second project was much simpler and took about 30 minutes. Go figure. Start with the harder of the two....

I think it came out fairly well. It's made from 3/4" formica MDF (I think). Not fancy wood but I had it laying around and the white top inspired my inner geek. It's really thick wood, so in my hand, it looks just like a black and white picture, but I assure you, all that black is actually holes in the 'wood'.

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
Re: My first project!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:42:53 pm »
For the first time you did a yery good Job. Looks greate.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:03:37 pm »
That's a slick pattern and you did a bang-up job cutting it. Not the easiest material either. Are you hooked yet?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:03:32 pm »
The thing about scrolling is it takes practice.  All saws are different and not everyone cuts the same way or with the same skill.  It will take a little time to find what is comfortable for you and things will get better.  You have done a great job on that Storm Trooper.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work as you progress.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Malistar22

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:17:42 pm »
That's a slick pattern and you did a bang-up job cutting it. Not the easiest material either. Are you hooked yet?

Oh, I am totally hooked. I really want to continue doing pop culture projects. I'm a huge sci-fi fan and video game nerd. I can't see myself doing regular animals or nature scenes, etc. It would get boring fast if I did the typical stencil images. Nothing against those who do of course, it's just not my thing. So I'm trying to find more stencils out there for things like LotR, Game of Thrones, Muppets, video game icons, Star Wars, movie scenes, super hero's, etc. It's not as easy as I thought! The really cool images I have found so far are really tough to turn into stencils. I'm finding myself spending more time looking for the right image than actually scrolling it.

countryscroller

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:52:46 pm »
Great first project!

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:18:20 pm »
Well done!
One easily over-looked concern when you first begin scrolling is the type of blades you
choose. For thick wood, I think you should lean toward a blade with FEWER teeth per inch.
That may sound counter-productive but, the reasoning is, the space between the teeth allows
time for the blade to remove the wood chips from the material.
Check a chart that recommends the correct blade for the material being cut and then just
let the blade do the work. Don't force it.
When using thin stock such as 1/8" Baltic Birch (which seems to be the preferred material for
fretwork), it is much easier to stack the sheets together and cut 3 or 4 of the same pattern
at the same time. The thicker wood resulting from stacking the thin sheets makes it MUCH easier
to cut without breaking the thin 1/8" material and you have more copies of your project for the
amount of time at the saw.
You did a fine job! Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:51 am »
For a first project that is great.  It will get easier with more practice and that is the all important word...PRACTICE.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:59:26 am »
Very nice job, looks great and well done, thanks for sharing.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:46:31 am »
Nice Storm Trooper, and listen to what has been said and practice, practice, practice, then practice some more.  Pay attention to the blade size, and drill a larger hole if you have room in the pattern to permit the insertion of the blade without bending same.

Hang in there, now that you are hooked, it does get easier.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 12:12:55 pm »
There are methods used by pattern makers to convert an image to a cuttable pattern. You might do a search for GIMP and Inkscape discussions to see how other do that. I attached a description of how I usually do it for your reference.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »
great work for your first piece.thanks for sharing

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:25:30 pm »
The first project is always the hardest to show, but once you do you realize this is some pretty fun stuff. Your project is pretty decent. Much better than my first project (A cross) and this is something to be proud of. Looking forward to seeing your other work. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 05:34:52 am »
Excellent work ,especially for a first project. The material you chose to work with is not the easiest to work with, but you did a great job with it.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline stu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »
Great job don't be in a hurry let the blades do the work
Stu

SMF

Teknoromi