Author Topic: The Elephant in the Room  (Read 2101 times)

Spartan scroller

The Elephant in the Room
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:32 am »
Okay, nobody has mentioned it yet so I'll bring it up.  What does everybody think of the article on CNC routers and laser cutters in the latest issue of Scroll Saw Woodworking and crafts?  Frankly I feel a little betrayed.  I thought this was a scroll saw magazine.  I even promoted it in a recent video I shot as a magazine that caters specifically to scroll saw folks.  I was very disappointed when I received my latest issue. I am contemplating cancelling my subscription  but there are just too many good patterns and articles in each issue to give it up.  I understood immediately the reason for the article when I saw the advertisements for CNC and laser equipment in the magazine. Magazines do not live by subscribers alone.  Point is that to me CNC and Laser cutters have NOTHING to do with scroll sawing. I found the very brief paragraph at the end of the article stating on how laser and cnc were not a detriment to scroll sawing to be mere lip service.   This is all my opinion.  I am curious to know what y'all think.

Regards,
Terry
www.terrysscrollshoppe.com

old wormy

Re: The Elephant in the Room
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:35 am »
I agree with you Terry, CNC and Lasers have nothing to do with scrollsawing. I was dissappointed with the the tone of the article. I realize the mag must have advertising to pay the bills but keep it to scrolling. Also I realize that there are a lot of intarsia scrollers but it seems that the articles and plans are shifting more in that direction and away from fretwork and other scrolling.

Spartan scroller

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:33:47 pm »
I posted this same comment on their website and they immediately took it down.  Shows you how much they care about what we think!

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:20:06 pm »
That is not true Terry.  Your message is still on their site and getting several responses.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/publisher-feedback/50130.htm

Actually cnc and lasers are still wood working tools and if used properly can enhance our scrolling.  I used to get real offended when a customer saw some of my work and asked if i used a lazer, now I take it as a compliment and use their comment as a conversation opener.   Although CNC and laser cutters are not my cup of tea i use a table saw and a miter saw to enhance my work and the other tools can do things a scroll saw alone cannot accomplish.  So I read the article with an open mind and found it enlightening.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:24:49 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »
Even Bob the technical editor made a comment on your post. 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:08:57 pm »
Up to two pages now, just took a gander.  Interesting elephant.  I can begin to see both sides of the debate.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »
I purchased the magazine today, not because of the CNC article but because of other articles and patterns I saw that I wanted.  I judge each issue by what I want out of it, not one article. There was a discussion on here about the content of the scroll saw magazines a while back and I think many of the points  were are are valid. I would stil llove to see a digital issue. they would have my subscription.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Spartan scroller

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:59 pm »
That is not true Terry.  Your message is still on their site and getting several responses.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/publisher-feedback/50130.htm

Actually cnc and lasers are still wood working tools and if used properly can enhance our scrolling.  I used to get real offended when a customer saw some of my work and asked if i used a lazer, now I take it as a compliment and use their comment as a conversation opener.   Although CNC and laser cutters are not my cup of tea i use a table saw and a miter saw to enhance my work and the other tools can do things a scroll saw alone cannot accomplish.  So I read the article with an open mind and found it enlightening.

Thanks for the link dunk.  I originally posted in General Scroll Saw and I did not see that it got moved.  Mea Culpa on that one, OK?

Terry

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »
No harm no foul...
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Becky

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:32:23 am »
Saw the article but wasn't interested so I didn't read it. 

Honestly, I haven't been impressed with the whole magazine lately.  I don't think I've been inspired to make anything I've seen in it for the past 3-4 issues.  And at only, what, eight issues a year (?) that isn't very impressive.  I renewed with a two year subscription not all that long ago so I will wait and see if things change for me.  They carry it at my supermarket.  I may decide to choose to buy it or not on an issue by issue basis after my subscription expires.  I used to look forward to  each new issue.  Lately, I just pretty much don't care.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:22 am »
This is like comparing a print to an original oil painting. Scrolling includes hours of human experience and effort and produces a one-of-a-kind output. I bet Van Gogh would not be impressed with an ink jet print of
but for us poor folk they're nice to have.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi