Author Topic: Taking my saw back  (Read 1949 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Taking my saw back
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:13:21 am »
Well so much for having fun. I noticed tonight after just about finishing up my air was blowing right, well the bellows was worn out, thought no big deal but it was soft and sticky like something got on it and ate it up. Well no biggie can get a fish tank air pump, but I also noticed the upper arm when off tension is loose, you can move it side to side, shouldn't be solid? Plus still got some side side blade movement when running, I see the arms aren't true to each other.

I did some looking and see the Craftsman is a good buy, read the reviews and all seemed happy, so if I can into a spat about taking mine back and exchange or just get my money back would the Craftsman be better? Its with in my budget, I don't have 600 to drop on a dewalt or I would go for it. Also what about the rockwell brand, though it looks just like skil, ryobi.

The WoodArtist

Re: Taking my saw back
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:54:58 am »
a lot of scrollers use the craftsman including myself. however, I was looking to buy a 2nd saw and while out looking I ran across a Porter Cable Saw at Lowes that also had a stand with it and cost less than $200. Yes it's only a 16" throat but for the money it has been a awsome saw. I have gotten to where this saw has become my favorite saw. I use it more than I do my Craftsman. Just another idea for you to think about.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:22:52 am »
The porter cable saw got the best reviews in it's price class.  Several members have one and love it.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »
I can't even get the porter cable one, price range for me is about 120. When I looked on sears website they have the craftsman marked down to 100, which is good deal and the reviews there most were very pleased with it, of course some had problems keeping the pinless blades in and said the bellows was weak but that can be fixed with a pump. I know too if craftsman still does it has good warranty on there tools. This is why I went for skil being its a good name brand, maybe I just a bad saw hopefully when I exchange it the new one will be better if not I will check into the craftsman saw. I have also thought about the one from HF, but the reviews on the HF site said it was junk was a pain to change blades, and motor was weak.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:55 pm »
i got a 16" craftsman variable speed saw had it for years and found it to be pretty reliable and good price for starting out.i still have it yet don't use it so much any more sense i got a new saw this summer.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »
Well got the craftsman saw, and already like it, looks better made of course, and is heavier than the skil, I like the table no insert to mess with, the skil insert I had to make one to sit flush with the table to plastic one was lower and the wood would catch.

Now I can get back to cutting some more projects.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 05:13:28 pm »
Got my saw all set up and love it, runs smoother not much if any vibration unless run full speed. The blade change is kinda a pain but will take some getting use to. If this craftsman is this nice I can't wait till I can try out a dewalt.

king310

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:08:51 pm »
Refer to my eailier post about porter cable saw. Just make sure you check it at the store for filings?

http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=12109.0

;) ;D :o
 I am getting better with the saw and my aim is improving when I toss them in the scrap bucket ;D ;D ;D
 ;D  just kidding

SMF

Teknoromi