Author Topic: My some what home made foot switch  (Read 2357 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
My some what home made foot switch
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:52:10 pm »
 I needed a foot switch really bad, its hard when you have small pilot hole, close to the blade and have to use one hand to flip a switch, so I thought for a bit. I didn't have 15 bucks for a foot switch from HF so I used a old foot pedal from a sewing machine. Works really great, just wish I good turn my speed up full power then use to pedal to speed up and slow down, which I can some makes it alot better, I can slow down some in turns or small spots have good control then speed back up on long runs. And the best part was didn't cost me anything had a couple sewing machines in the garage.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
Re: My some what home made foot switch
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:40:29 pm »
Thank you for your idea! I needed one and now I know what needs to be done-Great!!
Another great idea that someone posted was  the use of fish tank pump,to replace the dust blower ,as the rubber bellows on the machine does not last long plus with the pump you have a constant supply of air on the project and does not depend on the speed of the saw.
Thanks again!
Mahendra
mahendra

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »
Your welcome just look for the pedals that has the two plug ins on it one for light one for motor, some pedals are wired into the machine but if a machine is junk you can cut the wire and add your own plugs. I am excited now, haveing this much control on my speed makes it alot easier, plus if get into a bind and my wood gets away just lift foot off pedal and it stops, no rushing to find the switch while the wood slaps at table top.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:34 am »
Just a thought...

IF you have a variable speed control on your saw and you introduce another speed control from a remote source you are messing with the current feeding your saw.
This can cause your saw motor to burn out.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:23:45 pm »
I have wondered this before, but what about the monetary foot switch that you get from HF? Would it be the same way or is it because the sew machine pedal is a variable speed switch as well. I tried to turn the speed to full then use the pedal to go slow it does to a small point then hits full speed.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:53 am »
I agree with GB especially if it is an AC induction motor. I have read articles about this subject and it will cause the motor to prematurely fail.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi