Author Topic: Do you think I can do it?  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Do you think I can do it?
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »
15th January will be the first anniversary of mum's passing.I wouls like to make something special for dad, do you think either of the attatched pictures could be turned into a pattern for a plaque? and if so can anyone help with the making of a pattern?  Lastly, as someone fairly new to this and never attempted making a plaque before , do you think I could make it or am I being too ambitious too soon? Please be honest about the last question as if I do it I want to make a decent job of it for dad. thanks in advance for any help.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

harleygirl

Re: Do you think I can do it?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:50:22 pm »
Keefie, I too just started in July of this year and I have made 2 pictures already. They are no where closing to being good but it's good enough for me. Like you too, I did a picture of my Mom and Dad who are gone. I have no idea how to post pictures on this site or I would. Mom's mouth turned out a little bigger than I would of liked but Dad always said she had one lol  Sure someone will help you make a pattern takes me 3 hours. You will do fine, you'll see....Paula

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:12:49 pm »
If I get a pattern, I only hope my scrolling is good enough to distinguish mum from the horse. joking aside I'll do my best , thats all anyone can do.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:47 pm »
Get yourself some Spiral Blades and practice first.

FD New Spiral 2/0 or equivalent.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:34:26 pm »
Many portrate type projects are not any more difficult then other types of project, just a few more holes. I hope someone can help with a pattern, I think you can do it! Besides if my highschool kids can scroll, so can you!

grampa

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:56:27 pm »
Hi,I gave one of your photo,s a go and kept it to a basic level, hope its ok for you take your time and good luck.....Paul

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:18:30 pm »
Aww Thanks grampa, thats brilliant, and so quick too. I just need to do it justice now, and I'll dang sure give a good try. I'll post pic when i get it done

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:27:06 pm »
Hey Keefie, After seeing your work in another post, I know you can do the pattern from Grampa!
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:31 am »
Grampa comes through again!  Your generosity in helping out so many with your pattern designing skills is remarkable.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

daliclimbs

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:29:07 am »
You got that.. no problem, just have fun with it.. once it is done you will be amazed with your outcome. Guaranteed!

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:43:31 pm »
Keefie...Thought I would give the lady a try...Nice pattern Paul....Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »
the patterns are both brilliant, thank you both very much.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »
Thought you might like an update, I have just finished a nameplate for a memorial garden we are in process of making for mum (pic attatched), and have just started cutting the pattern Grampa did me for mum's portrait. if I do it justice and make a reasonable job of it then I'll cut the second pattern made for me by Joleet. I would Just like to thank both of you for the patterns, they're both brilliant. Hardest job is stopping dad seeing the work before it's done as it is a surprise for him.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 05:37:00 pm »
If you can do that 'garden sign' you can do that portrait... Just be SURE you make a stack and you will be fine. That way you will even have one for yourself.

First and foremost remember there are NO really sharp and square inside 'corners'...but people and animals rarely have sharp inside corners.
Second...Stay in the BLACK or colored area. Do not cut on the line...stay inside the area you are trying to remove.
Third...use every bit of tension you can.
Fourth...keep your saw running FAST. Remember that the blade is simply a 'flat' blade that has been TWISTED and the teeth are not lined up so you may have a single tooth of the blade doing the work or every third or fourth tooth.
Fifth...GUIDE the wood! Do not try to push or pull it. Doing portraits is where you really learn that you MUST let the blade do the work and you cannot force it or you will mess something up especially where you have adjacent cuts that are very close together. If you push or pull at the wrong time you will wind up with one larger cut and may destroy some fine detail.

Spiral Blades are like a very tiny, rapidly moving RASP. Work with that in mind.

You will also find that the blade cuts differently when going the way you usually go, 'front to back' than when you are going sideways or going 'back to front'...I have not figured out why but it does.

If you think you need to change to a newer, sharper blade you have already used the blade too long. They are cheap so change them often!

Good Luck...I know you can do it!

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:07:48 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »
Just thought I would show you all how the pattern turned out. THANK YOU again Paul for the beautiful pattern. And a thank you too to Joleet (Ron) for the second Pattern, I will be attempting that one in the new year. I hope I did your pattern justice, but I think dad will love it.

SMF

Teknoromi