Author Topic: british cars  (Read 3154 times)

gilljc

british cars
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:02 pm »
Hi
This is my first visit here, was referred here by a member on ukworkshop
have recently been asked to make something depicting a Morgan 4-4 (1994 2-seater) and a Hillman imp . I am absolutely useless with computers and have no hope of doing my own  :-[
I wonder whether anyone has or could design a scroll saw pattern for either or both of these cars? The morgan owner requested a toy (does not need to be scale model, just identifiable) or lid for document box, while the Hillman imp did not specify, just 'something with a Hillman imp'. Could be for fretwork, segmentation or double bevel inlay?
Would be grateful for any help offered, and I am more than happy to pay for any patterns that I could use.
Fingers crossed

Gill

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: british cars
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »
Here's an Imp for Fretwork. Looking at the Morgan - it should make a nice toy car.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »
I found this on the Morgan 4/4. If rendered into a set of maybe 3 compound cuts, would that be of interest?

located at http://autoautomobiles.narod.ru/autoautomobiles/morgan/morgan-4-4.gif
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:19:42 pm »
From this image:
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

gilljc

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:05:56 am »
Wow! thanks for that, will have a go at the two patterns and see what I can make of them. Only been scrolling in my spare time over the last couple of  years, self taught from internet, so lots of very basic knowledge probably missing.
Are you able to make a pattern for the compound cuts, that would be a very exciting project  :) have tried my hand at a couple of compound cut projects in the past, soon discovered that the wood has to be square  :D
I have a hegner 1 that I bought off e-bay last year, best buy I ever made

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:54:56 am »
EIEIO: Excellent patterns, thanks for your help

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:09 am »
I'll take a shot at the compound cuts. I want to try cutting one to make sure I didn't forget something, but I'll post what I come up with. The headlights might require a little carving, or maybe just a little paint to highlight them and the taillights.

I'm thinking I'd cut a 1/8" slot for a piece of Lexan for the windscreen. Any problem with that? (If this is for a very small child then the glued-in windscreen might not be a good idea).

I think it will scale to about 8" long with 1.5" wheels.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

gilljc

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 11:15:50 am »
Thanks again, sounds incredibly challenging, bit scared but looking forward to it.
Fully grown child, might be 2nd or even 3rd childhood  ;) have used toymaking plans in past, glued in thin dowel to signify top of windscreen

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »
Couple of nice patterns there, Ray, especially the Morgan, from my point of view. The Imp looks a bit too challenging for me.

I decided to have a go at the Morgan today but the **** glue stick didn't hold and the complete pattern came off. Grrrrrr.

Martin.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 12:38:41 pm »
This is a quick job - about 90 minutes design build time - so the detail is poor, but the overall shape looks about right to me. I hope you can use it as a starting point.

Start with a block 1.5" x 3.0" x 7.5" (I used a cut down 2x4), 1/4" dowel for the axles, and 1.5" hobby lobby wheels (or make your own).
Glue the pattern to the block (red line along the block edge) then drill the axle holes (9/32") and cut a slot for the windscreen with a 1/8" kerf table saw blade (I stuck a piece of 1/8" BB Ply in place for the windscreen).
I used a band saw to cut the side profile (my EX21 can't take the 3" width) but your Hegner might take 3".
Tape it back together then cut the top profile (cutting off the fenders).
Cut the outline of the left side fender (the one with the picture on it) using a scroll saw. I hand-held the shape so the picture side was horizontal facing up.
Us the left fender to mark the shape of the right fender. Cut the right fender like the left fender.
Cut the axles and put on the wheels.
Fit the fenders around the wheels. I used an oscillating drum sander to shape them and clean up the cuts a little. Glue and hold in place with rubber bands until the glue sets.

For trim, you could add something for head and tail lights if you'd like. You can also add a 5th wheel to the trunk lid. You might drill out or paint the interior, or you could cut out the door openings then add the doors back.

One thing is that the front wheels are within the fenders but the rear wheels stick out. You could cut out some space in the body to let the rear wheels tuck in better.

If you make one, please post a photo.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:43:47 pm by EIEIO »
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

gilljc

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 04:07:35 pm »
That's amazing, how do you do that? Will definitely give it a go, once I pick my chin off the floor.
Will keep you posted with progress  :)

gilljc

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 04:21:13 pm »
Martin, don't know if it helps, was using glue sticks over masking tape, but found 'crafters companion' temporary repositionable adhesive spray. really cheap, about ?5 a can and the best I have used yet, not a wide spray so doesn't stick up the shed, and if you let it tack up, really is like masking tape and peels off nicely and sticks very well, even for delicate fretwork

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »
NICE JOB RAY!! And quick too!
You did a good job of explaining how you did it too.
That should get a few people thinking in 3D!
I do have a suggestion for the rear wheels sticking out. Use a forstner drill bit about 1/4"- 3/8" larger than the wheels diameter and drill into the side of the body a short distance. Of course you need to make the rear fenders match but, that is no great trick for a real player.  ;D :D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 12:26:28 pm »
How do you do it, Ray? I'd want a week to cut that car from your pattern, never mind design and cut the first model in a few hours.
Martin.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
How do you do it, Ray? I'd want a week to cut that car from your pattern, never mind design and cut the first model in a few hours.
Martin.
This was a very simple model just to get started with close to the right scale - the real time is burned up in the details like bumpers, lights, steering wheel, seats, ... that I did not do. But it came out looking like a 3-D hand sketch of a Morgan. I prefer that "sketch" look to heavy detail, but I know a lot of people like the exacting detail and will spent the time to get it. This was just a way to get a starting point. I was lucky to find that drawing on line as a starting point.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi