Author Topic: Serious question for all who know my patterns  (Read 4150 times)

Offline blue11811

• View Profile
Re: Serious question for all who know my patterns
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »
Hi Charlie,
First of all your patterns are second to none and what you are selling them for matches other designers. I would by your patterns no matter who is selling them for you. Your designs are what sells your patterns. Even if you sold your rights everyone would know it is your pattern.
I would love to see a DVD with your patterns, sure it would sell. What ever you do looking forward to seeing more of your patterns. Thanks for sharing them from time to time.
Thanks,
John

EdwardW

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 08:02:41 am »
Charlie,

I would keep all rights, sell a scroll saw pattern DVD series that is themed. ie People, Places, Animals, etc of your works. Allow folks to sell the products but not the patterns. While your work is amazing, it is also targeted to a small craft audience so I see no reason to lose your future rights as an artist for what is likely limited benefit in the short term... (well-unless someone offers you a million bucks...then, I'd take the million bucks..) :)

My 2cents..

Ed~

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 09:33:23 am »
Charlie,

Just my 2 copper pieces here... but before you sign away all rights to this let me relate something that you might want to take a few mins to Google.  A cousin and I were talking about signage at Walmart and he was saying that the reason you dont see that yellow smiley face guy in any of their ads anymore is beacuse they lost a big lawsuit and had to change logos to that big * they use now.  So I googled it.   Remember back in the 60s and 70s all the  :) they use to wear on Tshirts and stuff.
Seems there's a family that trademarked it and still own the rights to it.  They are still raking in millions every year from it.  I would hate to think that you might sell something out right and some mom and pop startup takes it and turns into Facebook or Microsoft  ;)
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

CharlesDearing

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 09:56:05 am »
Well, i have to admit that the main reasons that I'm even considering it is because I live off of $700 a month and rarely get pattern sales.  If someone out there is better at getting sales of scroll saw patterns, then more power to them lol.  I've tried having sales, posting everywhere that is allowed, etc to get some sold, but struggle greatly to have any takers.  I didn't post these reasons initially because I didn't want to appear that I was whining in order to get sales.  I'm hoping that the site that is being built will help, but i'm still limited in where I can advertise it.  The two magazines charge literally hundreds and thousands to advertise in them so not real sure what else to do.  I had downloadable e-books (pattern packets) in the past but didn't sell many at all.  I don't know how Sheila Landry and Sue Mey do it lol.  I have to also admit to myself that I do realize that part of my own problem is that most of my patterns are highly detailed and that intimidates some people. 

CharlesDearing

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:53 am »
I'll consider the e-books again, but will likely be charging more than the $14.95 I charged back then.  That was for 30 patterns in each book.  People were getting $210 worth of patterns for $14.95 lol.  Just have to do better math and see if it ends up as a better balance....or just offer pattern packets (5-10 patterns) versus "whole books".

tdub4ever

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 01:43:34 pm »
I love your patterns Charlie, but I agree with you, they intimidate the @#$% out of me. I buy alot of patterns from different sites, but they are crosses, boxes, plaques and the such. If I was into portraits, I would surely buy your patterns. The best of luck to your sales!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 09:15:37 am »
For those of you who are intimidated, enlarge, enlarge, enlarge.  One of the first portrait patterns I ever cut was a tiger face of Charles'.  Once I blew it up big enough to cut easily, it was a breeze.  I was also new at spiral blades and this was way before I knew about Olson and Flying Dutchman.  I sold that piece for $250.00 and got an order for another one.  Yes, some patterns have several hundred to even thousand holes.  Oh, well.  The time you invest will come back to you in the beauty of the piece.  I personally love the details in these patterns.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 12:41:38 pm »
Charles Dearing , Let me first say that it was your attention to detail that keeps me cutting your patterns , you are a very talented artist, and to all those who are intimidated .... its only one cut at a time !!! it just takes a little longer but the results are just outstanding , i have had you do some personal ones for me in the past , but you are the artist and i would expect you to own the rights .
Like others have said maybe a website ,  a book or dvd ! once people know where to look you will get more sales ! whatever you do charles please keep the rights to your work !
I hope things get better for you and i will be back for more just shortly.

Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 11:12:10 pm »
Charles here is my 2 cents. You are great at what you do.I have purchased a few patterns from you, and like everyone.I don't know if I would sell them out right to anyone. Thats your work and time. Just like the way I feel when I complete a project, I'm sure you feel the same way. So how could you give that up? It seems to me it would eventually take the fun out of doing them. GB had a good idea.Put some books together.I'm sure you will do great with that. Look at all the responses you got just from the club here.....

SMF

Teknoromi