Author Topic: Hello From Texas  (Read 3617 times)

TGamel

Hello From Texas
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:02:55 am »
My mother has many beautiful scroll pieces hanging on the walls of her home that her father made more than 20 years ago. He was an exceptional carpenter and craftsman, building two of his own homes, one more than 2500 sq ft with his Shopsmith Mark V; and he even did his own brickwork.The fact that he was not a contractor or in the building trades made quite an impression on me. By trade he was a salesman, but in his heart I believe he was a true artisan.

While I am a decent carpenter, I am not sure I have the heart of an artisan that he had. The one thing my Shopsmith has been missing is the scroll saw attachment. While I would love to have and use a Dewalt or Excaliber, neither is in my budget right now. And after watching Steve's videos I was convinced that I could learn to do some basic work with an entry level saw. As Shopsmith discontinued this accessory, I purchased an entry level Porter Cable scroll saw as I have always wanted one and finally have the time and place to enjoy it.

For some reason when I am in the shop a feel a strange bond with the man I never knew well enough as he died before I became a man and could appreciate his love and passion for making things of wood. I hope that one day my skills will allow me to make things that I can pass on to my family and friends that will make them smile the way I do when I look at pieces that he created.

First, however I need to spend more time on the scroll saw, because Steve sure makes it look easy! I have watched all the scroll saw school videos Steve has done here and have purchased a couple dozen Flying Dutchman #3, #5, and #7 blades. Still using the cheap pin blade that came with the saw, funny thing is, I do not even know what size blade it is. Anyway looking forward to learning some new skills.

Todd

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:24:11 am »
Glad you found us Todd. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:12 am »
Hi Todd  Sounds like you are like most of us here  * hooked on scrollin'  *  Welcome to the group
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:28 am »
Welcome to the forum, I'm Dustin from Ohio. Glad to have another one with us.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:10:02 am »
Greetings from South Dakota Todd, and welcome to the addiction.  

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:11:19 am »
Welcome Todd! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:12 am »
Welcome frome Germany, i'm Heiko

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:20 am »
Hey Todd, welcome to the forum! I'm Dan From Southern California. You have come to the right place. We have folks from around the world willing to share their knowledge to all that ask! Come on in and join the fun!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:02:38 am »
Hello Todd, Welcome from North Dakota
I'm from North Dakota

rob roy

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:14 am »
Hello Todd, I'm Roy from Scotland. Welcome to the fun house. Anything you need to know?. Well Todd, you'll find the answers here. I speak from experience. I'm an old newbie. lol.
Rob Roy.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:55:53 pm »
Hi Todd, welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

SheGold

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 01:26:43 pm »
Hello Todd, glad you joined us... I'm Sheila from Texas... Happy scrolling

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 03:08:43 pm »
welcome to the forum Todd I'm Todd from NL canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:09:04 pm »
Hi Todd, welcome to scrollworld. You will be frustrated at first, but hang in there. You will find that you are your own worst critic.
Pete from Minnesota
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

king310

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:00 pm »
Welcome Todd!!!!! I also am just starting out in the scroll saw world using my Porter Cable Saw. I started using the blades that came with the saw and bought Olson blades. I then bought some flying dutcman blades and now I do not want to use up my other blades. Like I said before it's like cutting a steak with a butter knife then you switch and now you are cutting warm butter with a steak knife ;D
I have made a few changes to my saw and learned a lot from this blog and reviews.

Have fun :) Being retired I never have enough time with my saw.

SMF

Teknoromi