Author Topic: Ya, Another Texas guy :)  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Rob Z

• View Profile
Ya, Another Texas guy :)
« on: June 10, 2018, 06:05:03 pm »
I'm located in Texarkana, TX about 1/2 way between Dallas and Little Rock.

Well as I did Scroll work about 20 years ago I can't call my self new. But I can say that it is a world of difference so I might as well be new.

The resources now are amazing. I can remember waiting on Wood magazine and hoping they had something on Scroll Saw. If not you were on your own. Now, just on Steve's site there are thousands of patterns. (yes I purchased the PDF).

After watching several videos on saws and then doing my own hands on I settled on the Dewalt 788. This is just worlds ahead of the original Dremell I used to have. :) I just ordered a set of blades to see if there really is a difference from those at the local Home Depot.

Thanks, Y'all have a great day :)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Ya, Another Texas guy :)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:17:14 pm »
Welcome Rob,

You'll find plenty of suggestions and help on this site.  You didn't say what type of blades you ordered, but pretty much anything out there will beat what you find at Home Depot!  My "go to blade" is the  Olson Mach #3 blades, unless I need a size 1, then I go to the Sharktooth Ultra Reverse, from Scroller, and really like those.  They look just like the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse, but they leave the back of the wood cleaner.  There's so many out there, you just have to find what suits you.  Don't be surprised if you like one blade for some woods and patterns, and another kind for something else.
Nancy from Washington state
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:56:47 am »
Welcome Rob Z from Texas

I am Norm from Nipawin, Saskatchewan, a community that is about 2000 klicks north of you.
Drove down to the State of Texas a few years back, then followed the Rio Grande from Brownsville to El Paso, spending time in Great Bend National Park taking about 6 weeks to enjoy that part of the world. I would love to visit again but retirement income is a factor. So, for now, I will be satisfied with the memory and oodles of pictures.

I started scrolling with a Dremal then went a Dewalt 788 type 1 big difference. I use Pegas, flying Dutchmen and Sawbird blades; a brand sold by Grant Hall, an individual mail order supplier operator and designer of Intarsia plans. if you are interested google grant or Sawbird and check out his we. These brands are much superior and cheaper than the home depot type stores sell even with the shipping

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:03:59 am »
Welcome Rob. I am Tony,aka, Toneman from Paris, Texas, which is about 90 miles west of you. Glad to have you aboard. I use the Flying Dutchman blades and also the Olsen blades. As already stated, either of these I believe would be better than HD blades. The cost of a good blade is cheap compared to a ruined project with several hours invested.

SMF

Teknoromi