Author Topic: Help needed with deciding on blades  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Fordy

• View Profile
Help needed with deciding on blades
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:48:42 am »
Hi Everyone

I will be placing my first order for blades. I would like to know more about the various spiral blades on offer. I am not sure which will be best.

I have a bottom feeding Hegner, with the standard blade clamps. Would the spiral blades with the straight/flat ends be the best fit? I wish to embark on portrait work. I have one set of normal spirals I obtained from someone. They are not flat end and break all the time, even after just 5mins of use.

I also intend getting some ultra reverse blades fit the first time. I am excited about my purchase but nervous I may take the wrong blades and regret it.

Thank you in anticipation
Tyrone

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Help needed with deciding on blades
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 01:58:00 pm »
Tyrone,
A lot is going to depend upon what you are going to be cutting.  Personally  I would get a small amount of the more popular ones ie in the flat blade 3,5,7.9 and in the flat end spiral #1 and #3.  Try them out if you like them order more.  The two main blade brands folks seem to use are Olson http://www.olsonsaw.net/cat/scroll-saw-blades/ and Flying Dutchman http://www.olsonsaw.net/cat/scroll-saw-blades/

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Fordy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:06:28 pm »
Thanks DW.  Just to add, I am in South Africa and the cost of postage and the subsequent possible import taxes do not make it cheap to try out, and then order again.  And the long time it takes to get here too.

So, I have decided what I want, I just need help on the FD spiral blades with flat ends, vs the normal spiral blades.

Thanks!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 05:42:22 pm »
The ones with the flat ends are easier to instal.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:54:16 am »
I'll second the flat end blades - a lot less breakage for me.  Fordy- you might e-mail Sue Mey. She also lives in South Africa and might have some suggestions on blade suppliers in your part of the world.  Cheers Brian

Offline Fordy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »
Hi

I gave contacted Sue. She advised to buy from Mike's. We don't have a reliable local supplier. Which is why I am turning to you all for advice.

Thanks
Fordy

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:13:03 am »
I'm not a heavy user of spiral blades, but I've tried both Olson and Flying Dutchman.  I very much prefer the Flying Dutchman.  Both offer flat end spirals and I have found them to be easier to install.  However if you need a really small size, FD offers a 2/0 and 3/0 spiral, but not with flat ends.  They do untwist very easily though, with a couple pair of needle nose pliers, so they are quite usable and do a nice job. 
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Fordy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 02:43:01 am »
Hi Bill

Thank you for the input. I have decided on these little boys too and placed my order. I received email confirmation that it is being shipped so I wait expectantly for them to arrive.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Regards

Offline Heather McNeill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 02:02:53 am »
Hi Tyrone
I have some spiral blades somewhere, I'll dig them out and get back to you on what's what.
Have a great day,
Heather

SMF

Teknoromi