Author Topic: Jet Scroll Saw  (Read 2404 times)

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
Jet Scroll Saw
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:36:46 am »
Hello all,

I just returned from Hartville Hardware and a Jet Scroll Saw Demo.... this is a "heads up" to all scrollers thinking about the Jet. The demonstrator (?) attempted to clamp a saw blade into the upper holder, but it would not hold. After several tries, he removed the clamp and found that it had broken at the top of the blade cut-out. He apologized and went to the back room taking the clamp from another new machine. Inserting it into the demo saw, he again attempted to clamp the blade. This one did not hold either. Taking it apart, it too had broken in almost the same place. This happened again, in the same place, with a third clamp.

It seems that if you apply too much pressure to the cam tensioner, or do not have the set screws that actually hold the blade properly adjusted, the pot metal (at least it looked  porous like pot metal at the break) clamp will break with little additional force. So, like Steve says, make sure you read the manual and it might not be a bad idea to order a spare clamp, just in case.

After the demo (or whatever you want to call it) I went up to play with the saw. It is NOT a tool less change on the bottom clamp and as a "top feeder" it is too cumbersome to use, for me. I guess I'll wait to see what Ray's new saw looks like.

This is not a condemnation of the Jet saw, but simply a heads up as a possible weak link in the saw. I am sure with proper adjustment it will work just fine.

Dr. Jeff Popa
Cut once...period

Offline Paladin

• View Profile
Re: Jet Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:48:59 pm »
sounds like the demo guy didn't know what he was doing.  I talked to a Jet sales rep at my local wood store, and he had no idea about how the saw even works.  I don't think they are really supporting it very well if they don't even take time to train their sales people on it.
If you tightened the rocker handle on the top of the clamp too much and then force it closed, i can see it breaking.  I would think this would take a lot of force though.

Steve K

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 04:45:06 pm »
Well, I agree with the not supporting the item. But, these are factory reps that are breaking the parts. If a person who is trained by the factory cannot do it right, what chance do us meer mortals have? It sounds like a tremendous idea for clamping, but as is too often the case function follows form in industry
Cut once...period

Offline Paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:07:35 pm »
I've been using mine for six months now, and haven't had any problems using the top clamp.  It works exactly as designed and is a great feature.  That's why I can't understand why one of their reps would have such difficulty with it.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:25:33 pm »
I've only had mine for about 2 months, but absolutely love it and have had no problems with it. 
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline rjweb66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:31:57 pm »
Yes I have had mine since Dec and works great, the bottom clamp just takes time to get use to, but works great, RJ

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 01:00:05 pm »
On the Seyco site they have a picture of the saw, it looks identical to the EX, one feature it has is a blade angle indicator on the front of the saw and has bigger bench top option, the blower is a 90 degree elbow that blows dust to the back of the table.

SMF

Teknoromi